FrankB's Advanced Cracks

Started by FrankB, May 14, 2009, 08:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi guys,

here's a little useful preset I would like to share. What it does is that the network gives you cracks and tiles, like you see them on dried out surfaces.
Usually the voronoi based noise function generate structures like that, but troubles it that the crack lines are usually way to thick to be used in any sort of realistic render.

This preset as well uses the voronoi, but does two things differently:

1 - Tile profile
You can give the tiles a profile, by incrasing the displacement parameter in the node called "tile profile"

2 - Narrow cracks
narrow, more natural looking cracks, that are warped and disorted downwards are managed through the node called "make cracks"

Hope you find that useful.

Cheers,
Frank

PS: the below is a "no frills" demo render

Kevin F

Thanks very much. Looks interesting.

domdib

Thanks  Frank. Now I wonder where I saw these before... :)

buzzzzz1

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

rcallicotte

Ooooh.  Cool.  Thanks Frank.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

darthvader

Sweet! Thanks a bunch for sharing Frank.

inkydigit

thanks a million Frank!...I will look forward to experimenting with this

Oshyan

Hmm, looking pretty good http://www.ski-epic.com/burningman2005/p76b_playa_surface.jpg

I wonder, can this easily be applied to, say, rocks? Off to play...

- Oshyan

FrankB

should be easy. To make it look realisitic like in your photo, you need to stack multiple of those with different sizes and different displacement depths. Just adding one more level should pretty much do the job. Of course you need to switch off the tile profile shader, or reverse its displacement ever so slightly - the tiles on your photo are flat or if my eyes don't cheat me, they are slightly dented.

FrankB

Here is an exmaple of what i meant with stacking two of the networks.

tgd attached. The "secret" is in the internal network of the sphere, of course.

Cheers,
Frank

JimB

Phwoar. Get some glowing lava in those cracks and you've got yourself a fantastic cracked moon.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

darthvader

FrankB

Quote from: JimB on May 15, 2009, 12:12:52 PM
Phwoar. Get some glowing lava in those cracks and you've got yourself a fantastic cracked moon.

you mean like this? good old terragen glow effect, now in TG2...

JimB

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

FrankB

You'll be just about the right guy to add a couple of special effects to this rather rudimentary render, Jim. Maybe animate the growing cracks along with a collapsing continents and a collapsing atmosphere and to compose some particles flying away from the surface. That would be really cool ;D

Probably a bit too much work to do just for fun....

Cheers,
Frank