Is a Linux Version A Possibility?

Started by ares2101, August 13, 2023, 10:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101

I hop in and out of Linux a lot, and Terragen is the one Windows program I actually use semi-regularly that I can't really replace (even if I wanted to).  Currently it works fine in Wine/Bottles on my main PC, though slower and the UI looks kinda janky, but it has issues working on laptops since custom DPI scaling breaks it.  I know there's a render node, though I've not tried it, and I gather a Mac version dropped.  Is a full Linux version even on the roadmap?

efflux

If Terragen came out for Linux I would definitely try it again. I haven't used t for years but I did get it working in Wine. I use Linux for all photography and 2D design and I want to use it for video editing hence I will be building a new powerful system. DaVinci Resolve runs on Linux as well as many other 3D programs. I also moved to Bitwig for audio where I still use a Mac but that can be moved to Linux as well.

Matt fixed a few things years ago that used to bug me in Terragen but I just never got back into it, mainly due to having to wait for renders. It should be a lot faster on newer computers.

ares2101

Yeah, it does mostly work in Wine now (though I use Bottles specifically, but it has its issues still.  Renders are noticeably slower for one, and I can't use it on my laptop's screen given how the scaling works (or doesn't).

efflux

I might try installing it but I won't use it until I get a better computer. I have done this before a long time ago and there were some UI problems. I didn't specifically notice any render slowdown but that would not be good. If money was no object I would buy a Mac since they are good for audio and in fact I might buy an older Mac just to upgrade my Mac for audio purpose but I don't want to use Windows. I haven't booted to Windows for over ten years.