Source of Flicker?

Started by MrHooper, May 06, 2009, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrHooper

Having worked with MR, and a bit of Vray, I would think it near impossible to shoehorn them into rendering TG scenes.  Displacements are not the strong point of Raytracers... So much data must be in memory to calculate GI, that I would think they would choke.  That said, you are doing some form of raytracing/GI in TG, so perhaps not impossible.  But Scanline renderers would have much more success at rendering displacement-heavy scenes like those in TG.

I'm curious to know how TG is doing it's raytrace functions without blowing out memory.

In general, integrating a 3rd party renderer is no small task.  Especially if the application was not designed to plug in renderers.  To this day, Maya/MR integration needs work;)

Plus, it seems the renderer in TG is the breadAndButter of the app.  It's not something that needs replacing... just tweaks, and proper documentation.  I'm sure once the tools are made clear, we'll be able to use them more effectively.

Andrew

Oshyan

Spot on Andrew. There are of course improvements to be made, but it's a bit of a leap to consider ditching the entire renderer when it's purpose-built for this kind of stuff. :)

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

I don't remember advocating that the internal render of Terragen be ditched, if that is what it seemed like then sorry for any misunderstanding I was merely trying to help. End of Line.

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

Matt

"GI blur radius" is relative to the spacing of the GI pre-pass samples (ignoring supersample prepass). Therefore, if you increase "Detail" or "GI relative detail", the blur area in image space will be reduced, so that increasing Detail or GI relative detail improves overall detail without needing think about the blur radius. Before blur radius was promoted to a user-adjustable parameter, the idea was to always use GI sample quality to address flickering problems or other quality problems not specifically related to detail. That should still be possible in most cases, but in earlier versions there were some bugs which meant it didn't always work that way.

In recent builds you should be able to remove flicker if you set the GI sample quality high enough. GI blur radius helps a lot but it blurs away the detail that you probably want. 300 virtually flattens everything. Try GI blur radius at no more than 50 and increase GI sample quality until the flicker is gone. If too much detail is lost, reduce the blur radius and maybe increase GI sample quality even further to compensate.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on May 18, 2009, 01:55:35 PM
"GI blur radius" is relative to the spacing of the GI pre-pass samples (ignoring supersample prepass). Therefore, if you increase "Detail" or "GI relative detail", the blur area in image space will be reduced, so that increasing Detail or GI relative detail improves overall detail without needing think about the blur radius. Before blur radius was promoted to a user-adjustable parameter, the idea was to always use GI sample quality to address flickering problems or other quality problems not specifically related to detail. That should still be possible in most cases, but in earlier versions there were some bugs which meant it didn't always work that way.

In recent builds you should be able to remove flicker if you set the GI sample quality high enough. GI blur radius helps a lot but it blurs away the detail that you probably want. 300 virtually flattens everything. Try GI blur radius at no more than 50 and increase GI sample quality until the flicker is gone. If too much detail is lost, reduce the blur radius and maybe increase GI sample quality even further to compensate.

Matt

Thanks for these explanations Matt. So if I understand correctly the GI blur radius is not something "fixed". I mean, a blur-radius of 50 is not 50px or 50% or whatever....it's dependent on quality settings.
Anyhow, with this in the back of my head, will these suggestions also help to solve seams between images for cubemaps for example?

Martin

MrHooper

Thanks for the info.  I'm still not 100% sure how to tune my blur size, but guidelines are good to have.  I'll try using the gi detail settings first, with blur set to less than 50 or so.  Thanks

Andrew