Annoying Counter Errors in Populations

Started by buzzzzz1, May 03, 2009, 02:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

While we're on the subject of program bugs and such, I'd like for everyone to remember your experience with Half-Life and Quake, when these were released in final form.  Nary a bug and the updates were usually add-ons.  This is what it's all about.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

jaf

Just curious though....

Someone had to program the counter error message.  Maybe they could give a very brief explanation of what it means?

Messages like "out of memory: or "couldn't locate image xxx" are pretty much understood.  Maybe this is a simple debug message that wasn't removed?  :)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jo

Hi,

It is essentially a debug message and is there for our ( developers ) benefit. It points to an issue in the Populator that Matt was trying to track down. It was left in basically because it was useful to know how often etc. this was a problem and also whether it makes any difference to final renders. Most of the time it doesn't and the message can be ignored.

It is a warning message rather than an error. We do have two levels of messages. Errors with the red icon are for things which have gone wrong. The warnings with the yellow icon means something might not be quite right or is a message to let you know you might want to change something, but it's probably not a big deal.

Of course it obviously has caused people some consternation and as TG2 has reached a wider audience we can't reassure everyone it isn't really a problem. It is still handy for us to know it's happening and if there are any problems with populations as a result, and of course with any luck Matt will be able to track down the root issue at some point. That it hasn't been possible so far shows what a hard thing it has been to pin down.

Regards,

Jo

jaf

Thank you Jo.

Something I noticed as I was adding population objects today, I wasn't getting the counter error at first, but it seemed the more I save my scene and restarted, the more errors showed up (on the same objects that didn't get errors earlier.)

Pure guess work here, but it may have something to do with the object collision code (I'm assuming there's code to prevent that?)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Oshyan

There is no object collision detection currently.

- Oshyan