SoCal Desert

Started by jaf, May 18, 2009, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

This is my first attempt of a scene using my own models (Lightwave.)  I'm attempting to get the look of a southern California desert where we camp each year, namely The Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

I only have three plants started so far -- an agave with and without a stalk and an ocotillo.  The sky is fake (though it is a photo from Anza Borrego.  I'm trying to keep things simple and advance to new areas as I go.

I can see a lot of rocks and boulders in the future, plus many more plant types.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

domdib

A very good start - models are nice and the ground texture looks good. Look forward to developments.

DJ

Looks good.
I would work on the distribution of the plants.
For example they should not grow on the steeper areas of the terrain.

DJ

rcallicotte

Nice start.  Keep at it.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

jaf

Thanks -- there's a long way to go.

DJ -- actually, the plants do grow on the steeper terrain.  In fact many grow best on that type of terrain and my scene is less steep than many of the areas of Anza Borrego.  And the tops of each ridge usually have agave stalks or ocotillo plants silhouetted with the sky.

Here's a  photo of the typical terrain in the Blair Valley area.

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

DJ

You're right, the steepness is not the problem.
DJ

jaf

I decided to step back and rework some of the models and add a little color.  Too much symmetry -- I'm still not happy with the ocotillo.

I added a yucca and some dead agave stalks.  After a few more plants and shrubs I will start the rocks and boulders.  Lots of them.

I'm trying to keep the poly counts low to see whats really needed when close scrutiny is not an issue.  It's funny, but its harder for me to make a low poly model that looks halfway decent.

I'm only using solid colors for materials right out of Lightwave Modeler -- no UVs or other texturing.  :)