Cool Vue 7.5 Image

Started by efflux, May 27, 2009, 11:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylot

um.. wow, I never thought of displacing things this way...

I'm impressed, and have some new ideas.

Oshyan

You'll want to use a standard displacement map for TG2. I don't think a normal map like that will be interpreted properly.

- Oshyan

Jack

normal waps seem to work better than displacement maps for me ???
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Oshyan

A normal map will work, I think it's just being interpreted in greyscale anyway. Convert your normal map to greyscale and see if you get the same results. I could be wrong here...

- Oshyan

efflux

I want to try bringing textures into TG2. Specifically from Mojo to get around for example no Voronoi basis in the power fractal.

Oshyan. I'm not so sure those textures in the Vue images are brought in maps. I think they are procedural. The link to these images at the e-on site at full scale fails for some reason so unfortunately they are small.

Large amplitude displacement:

Volumetric:

As far as I am aware Vue has two fundamentally important features. The ability to create curved functions and colour gradients.

Don't get me wrong though. Vue has a long way to go before I would start using it if in fact ever due to the high cost.

By the way, the bias and gain nodes now in TG2 have COLOSSAL importance for being able to create simple curves. Eventually I will get around to showing some ways of utilizing that (if nobody else is going to).

Oshyan

They are at least partially imaged based. See the following:
http://nukeation.deviantart.com/art/Forest-Nook-116802716 (note in the description "image-based displacement")

And another:
http://nukeation.deviantart.com/art/Quad-HyperTerrain-Mark-II-116664900
"This is a major displacement material that uses 2 bitmap displacement layers based on my own photos..."

Compared to a pure procedural version, which is much less interesting and impressive (the one he uses in his tutorial on the technique):
http://nukeation.deviantart.com/art/Creating-HyperTerrains-115406323

- Oshyan

chippwalters

Hey guys, thanks for the props for the image at the top of this thread. I'd like to make a couple of points about it and Vue in general.

First off, until recently, TG has had much better fractal diffuse maps than Vue ever had. But with Vue  7.0, Vue is starting to catch up. The image you referenced was a single and basic terrain fractal, with a bunch of distortion added.

Someone noted TG seems to do better large scenes (vistas) with depth in them than does Vue. There are of course some vista type scenes created by Vue, but one sees many more in TG galleries. You can check out this page for some vistas-- be sure to click on the icons to see them in full size. I'm not sure, but I believe the vista issue has something to do with workflow as opposed to capabilities of each program. For instance, this recent render (orig 1600 wide, 2.2 hrs rendertime on 2.50 GHz Intel Core2 Quad CPU | scene creation time ~3 hrs):

Uses a single procedural terrain for the canyons and a HyperTerrain for the center rock formation. Granted, a single TG's Xfrog tree is still better than Vue's HD trees. The point is, IIRC, one 'searches around' for a view in TG, whereas typically one creates the view with multiple terrains in Vue. In the view above, I used the TG way of 'searching around' to find the scene for the hero tree. Still, I'm not sure Vue's fractals are quite as good for these type of scenes as TG's fractals are.

Regarding Vue's fractals, all of my terrain work, and most of Dax's terrain work (not all, but most of the recent work), I've been told is done directly in Vue's terrain editor. He's got a pretty nice tutorial out on it as well. And most all of his HyperTerrain work is done with procedural displacement, bump and diffuse maps. Vue doesn't do normal maps at this time. In particular, the distortion capability is nice for creating mud slides like in this image (~3 hrs rendertime | scene creation time ~3 hrs--already had model):

Clouds seem to be pretty much the same for both apps these days. Vue now has spectral2 clouds which are really quite impressive. Dax has some major cloud test renders here.

So, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions about TG2:

How long do you all typically take to setup a scene? How long to render? Can you get radiosity bounce from surrounding surfaces? This last question is particularly interesting, because IMO Vue's 7.0 lighting model really enhances landscape renders using radiosity-- just check out the top image in my post.

Lastly, I really do think it's more about the artist than about the software. It all comes down to what one is comfortable with.

best regards,
Chipp

sjefen

I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure radiosity is the same thing as GI. It's only a different way of calculating it.
I belive what you see in your first image there is very possible with Terragen 2.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

chippwalters

Quote from: sjefen on May 31, 2009, 08:50:58 PM
I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure radiosity is the same thing as GI. It's only a different way of calculating it.
I belive what you see in your first image there is very possible with Terragen 2.

- Terje

Vue is very different w/regard to GI vs Radiosity. You can see an example here. I believe Radiosity is a superset of GI. In anycase, I don't know how TG interprets either.

sjefen

I took a look at those images and to me it doesn't even look like the GI engine work. It is almost totally dark in the shadow area and that is probably why you have to use the radiosity engine.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: sjefen on June 01, 2009, 07:52:11 AM
I took a look at those images and to me it doesn't even look like the GI engine work. It is almost totally dark in the shadow area and that is probably why you have to use the radiosity engine.

- Terje

I agree, however I think the Radiosity gives results which are not very easy to achieve with TG. You'd need some fill lights or extra enviro light set to AO and then mix it properly to get the right balance.
A single "engine" like radiosity would be quicker and easier then.

buzzzzz1

Another thing that can be done in Vue is you can choose what objects you want the light to effect which can be very helpful in some scenes. Would love to see this option in TG as well.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

domdib

I'd just like to second TU's and Buzzzzz1's requests!

moodflow

As for as I know, in a broad sense, GI is the overall lighting "concept".  Radiosity is just one sub-concept of GI (ie. one way to pull it off).  I believe "ambient occlusion" is another. 

So in the case on the above post showing the examples, this is Vue's way of doing it.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

chippwalters

Martin,

As to my other question, how long did it take you to setup this scene and render it? TIA -Chipp