rendering crashes a lot

Started by jamesvfx, June 01, 2009, 02:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesvfx

hey guys I'm trying to render a 4500x2500 pixels orbit view  but it keeps crashing and crashing I have a 8 cores 8 gb  ram Boxx , I have changed my settings to 8,7, and 6 processors with 4000,3000 and 2000 subd cache respectively , any idea what's going on? or what settings are best?
when I didn't changed the processors , it was rendering with 2 and subd cache of 400 and I didn't have problems , it just was taking forever to render and I couldn't wait
thanks before hand ! :'(

cyphyr

I'll probably get this wrong but in essence I'm right  ... lol
A subDiv cache of "thousands" is way above what TG can handle, its not 64bit yet. Terragen can only access up to 3.2 gig of ram so your subDiv cache should not go above accessible ram divided by number of cores so 400 Mb really is going to be your limit. If its still crashing try lowering your cache (you'll get warning but you can ignore them).
A 4500x2500 image at a reasonable detail level, 0.8 detail, 8 AA, you could probably drop your GI detail and quality to 1 or even 0 should still take a day or so to render.
Good luck
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hetzen

Try running 8 cores with Sbdivision Cache at 800mb.

neuspadrin

yeh the subdiv needs to drop.  especially if you have tons of models.

Oshyan

You're definitely running out of RAM. TG2 isn't a 64 bit app, so as Richard said it can only access *up to* 4GB of RAM, even on a 64 bit OS. On a 32 bit OS it's 2GB max, unless you're using the /3gb switch, in which case it's 3.

Generally speaking the default render cache size is fine for most situations. I seldom recommend changing it, and when I do, it's usually to *decrease* it. Significantly increasing it won't usually help render time and is generally unnecessary.

So rendering with 8 cores at that resolution may be a problem. You might try 4, with 400MB cache.

- Oshyan