Sand (Desert, dry lake surface, cracked surface)

Started by Alkin, June 02, 2009, 10:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkin

Hi.
Ive searched forums for sand surface and come up with some results but mostly it is a dune texture like on this picture here which is also something i need but id like to know how to make ripples which are in bottom right corner of the picture.
Also i am interested how can i make something like this. Almost flat but with texture.
The last thing i would like to get advise on is how to make something like this

Thank you in advance.

P. S. Yes i know, i am complete newb. ))

RArcher

The first two are possible just using a powerfractal.  Simply spend some time playing around with the various values until you get something close, you will also get the benefit of learning quite a bit too.

The last one is also possible.  Perhaps see here for more detail: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6432.0

Seth

Quote from: RArcher on June 02, 2009, 11:50:30 AM
The first two are possible just using a powerfractal.  Simply spend some time playing around with the various values until you get something close, you will also get the benefit of learning quite a bit too.

errrr... did anyone already made good sand ripples using powerfractal ?
I know Wiwine did using functions but i don't remember good PF sand ripples from anyone (but i may be wrong of course)... and i spent some times trying but i was faaaaar from the picture i just checked (the first Alkin posted)

Alkin

Quote from: RArcher on June 02, 2009, 11:50:30 AM

The last one is also possible.  Perhaps see here for more detail: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6432.0

I did spend ton of time with PF. And again i did manage to come up with some nice dunes but not ripples.

littlecannon

Hi Alkin... have you done a search for pelin noise (Function). I think you may have to use this to get what you want. I'm pretty sure there was a discussion on this a while ago. I would advise you what to do... But I don't have much of a clue when it comes to functions (shame).

BUT... I have found this http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1168
and with a little magic... you could have the sand you always dreamed of.
Thanks, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Seth

RArcher

Ahh, I was mainly talking about the dunes themselves for the powerfractal.  For the close up ripples, I just use an image map based displacement to handle that:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6560.0

Hetzen

Quote from: Seth on June 02, 2009, 01:31:48 PM
yes, functions.
not only powerfractal ;)

Are there any known issues using functions over powerfractals? It would seem that a Sine wave would be the right thing to use in this instance.

Seth

Quote from: RArcher on June 02, 2009, 01:49:57 PM
For the close up ripples, I just use an image map based displacement

yeah and the result is good, as the ripples i saw from errr... Saurav and Efflux (i think or was it Moodflow ?) ;D
but i would like to find a way to do some ripples with PowerFractals too

dandelO

With perlin ridges set in the fractal's noise flavour and low, close values for scale, you can make decent looking sand ripples by stretching the X or Z noise, depending which way you want the wind/water to have piled the sand in relation to your FOV.

Here is a very quick shot at it just while I read this thread, quality isn't a factor here, just demonstration... ;)

[attachimg=#]

Here's the values I've changed in a default power fractal...

scales: Feature=0.5, Lead-in=0.5, smallest=0.25.
Colour: Contrast=1, roughness=0
Displacement: Amplitude=0.25, roughness=0
Noise: Flavour=Ridges, XYZ stretch= X=5, Y=1, Z=1
Warping: Disabled everything here.

The camera is 5m above the surface, these ripples are quite big then. :-\ You can get the idea, though.

I'm looking directly down the Z axis so the X value needs stretched to make the ripples go horizontaly like this.
To make tighter ripples, drop the Z-stretch value, in increments of 0.1 until you have the desired size, is how I'd go about it...

dandelO

Same thing, bigger scales and I've used a 3D painted shader to draw where the small ripples go, which are the same scales of the last post's with noise stretch - X=15, Y=1, Z=0.75. The painted shader is just plugged into the blendshader of the ripples.

Not perfect by any means but workable if you spent enough time on it.

[attachimg=#]

Hetzen

I spent a couple of hours playing with this, and here's where I got to using functions. I may spend a little more time with it. The trick with the ripples, is to to use Get Altitude to drive the Sine function, so the contours follow the landscape, and a Bias function allows you to give the ripples more of a steeper peak.

Seth

domdib

Looks great Hetzen - any chance of a node shot or clip file?