Can't figure out how to use objects!

Started by Magica, June 05, 2009, 01:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magica

I've been messing around for HOURS on terragen 2 trying to figure out how to use objects in my creations. Obviously I can get as far as clicking add object > obj reader (I've even tried .tgo objects) and I'll copy the coordinates of the place I want to put my object, but all I end up seeing is a little white cross. Whether I render it or view it in the 3d preview, the object does not show up. What am I doing wrong?

Oshyan

It's possible the object you have loaded is very small or distant. What is your camera position? Objects are usually loaded at 0,0, the coordinate origin. If your camera is far from this point then the object is likely to be too small to see. Move your camera closer and see if rendering works then. Remember to press the "Set camera"/"Copy to current camera" button (hotkey: Enter) before rendering.

If you continue to have problems, posting a screenshot and/or TGD would be helpful.

- Oshyan

Magica

I'm actually seeing a white outlined cube with a cross in it now, I click the area that I want to put my object (in this case, a tree) and paste those coordinates in the 'translate' box. No matter how far I zoom in, I still don't see the object. Here's a screenshot:
http://i40.tinypic.com/333wp50.jpg

Oshyan

And if you render with that view nothing shows up in that area? Remember that the 3D preview only ever shows white bounding boxes like that.

Is the object textured? Where did you get it?

- Oshyan

Magica

Oh it does show up now in the render. I don't know what I was doing wrong the first time that made it not show up in the render. Thanks for the help.

Henry Blewer

I spent hours and hours trying to place a single pine tree by a lake. I did not know you could right mouse click on a terrain location and copy the coordinates, and paste them into the tree object. But, I did get a feel for how T2 handles its geometry.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T