Can not figure out objects or populations

Started by Asuyuka, June 06, 2009, 03:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asuyuka

Heya

I've actually been trying to get this figured out for a year and a half or two years.  I'm slightly stubborn.  ;)

But I can not get either to work.

Objects just won't show up, and rendering with a population will just take forever, but not show anything but a black screen, and yes, I populated it.

This reason actually annoys me some bit, and prevents me from using 2 over Terragen 1, by and far easier to handle.  It's just frustrating trying to figure it out.  ???

neuspadrin

Are they placed in the right spot? and moved the population not the object?  also, did you get any errors loading where it says it cant find some images?

Asuyuka

Yeah, and no errors being barfed out either.

Hetzen

I think this next bit should be a sticky, because it comes up a lot, and I've fallen victim to it on many occasion.....

No object imported into Terragen can have a space character in any of it's materials names, including directory paths, otherwise it won't create the necessary Parts Shader in the internal network of the object, you'll get an error message, and will render out black.

Not saying it's the problem, but it's something to be aware of. Oshyan explained really well why it happens, and understand the difficulty in getting over the problem in software terms.

gregsandor

Here's an example file with a .jpg elevation model, an image map overlay texture, and another image masking a population of trees.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6319.msg66759#msg66759

Asuyuka

Thanks, that helped a lot.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to move the actual population object ^^; (The second thing)

Oops.

Now I got it working, thanks a lot.  ;D

neuspadrin

Thelby

Nice Vid Tut. It helped me with where exactly to copy and paist the xyz coordinates. Amongst other things!!!