feature suggestion - expressions

Started by digitalguru, June 03, 2009, 02:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

just dusted of my copy of TGD to have a play and have a small suggestion - expressions for the parameters

would be very useful to be able to have parameter linked by simple expression so a scale change could propgate through a series of nodes - or have feature scale a ratio of lead-in scale

just my two pennys worth...

Oshyan

I'm a little unclear on what you want to do. You can create some limited math "equations" (in a sense) using function nodes. Are you suggesting some kind of "equation node" that would allow you to put in a raw equation for computation, and then output the result?

- Oshyan

goldfarb

it sounds like digitalguru is talking about parameter referencing....
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

cyphyr

There have been occasions where I want to have the same value plugged into many different nodes, say the same seed number, and at the moment I have to type it in each time.
It would be cool if I only had to enter it once, is that what you're after "igitalguru" ?
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dwilson

I think he means expressions like in After Effects which would include your idea cyphyr.  It would be like using a function to control a parameter of a fractal.  The scale of a fractal at a specific point could be controlled by that point's position on the planet.  You could use one fractal where now you would have to use multiple fractals and mask them.  It would be a complex but powerful system if it was implemented.  It also might be a step towards being able to control instances in a population.  You could adjust the density of trees based on altitude or slope.

Oshyan

Controlling node settings with functions is definitely a cool feature and something I'd like to see implemented in the future. If that's what was meant, there is hope for that possibility. Otherwise I'd be interested in further explanation.

- Oshyan

digitalguru

Quote from: cyphyr on June 05, 2009, 03:30:41 PM
There have been occasions where I want to have the same value plugged into many different nodes, say the same seed number, and at the moment I have to type it in each time.
It would be cool if I only had to enter it once, is that what you're after "igitalguru" ?
richard

pretty much, would be very handy when nesting fractals at different scales for shading, would be similar to expressions in maya where you could either directly reference something like a seed (as cyphyr mentioned) or have it scale with a simple expression - a tweak to a scale in a power fractal you'd designated as a master could then propogate through your network.

jaf

Also, a somewhat similar feature.... How about allowing basic expressions in the numerical entry fields?  For example, increasing a value like 8.4 by 15 percent could be entered 8.4 * 1.15.

Many modeling programs allow this -- Lightwave come to mind -- and the extra parsing shouldn't be that difficult.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Henry Blewer

It would be a neat feature. Something like ScaleA = (scale fake stone shader 1) * 0.25

Then using the result from ScaleA in a power fractals scale inputs. The (scale fake stone shader _) could be received from any fake stone shader, with the number at the end referencing the node. This could simplify the nodes and make global color changes easier.

I hope this makes sense.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi,

It sounds to me that you're asking for scripting. We do plan to add scripting capabilities at some point, although I personally am not sure where that fits into the roadmap. Scripting could give you the opportunity to reference shaders and their parameters by name and create expressions using them, and adding the scripting capabilities would also allow us to have expressions in numerical entry fields. Giving that we do intend to add scripting, just adding support for expressions to numerical entry fields would probably be a duplication of effort.

Regards,

Jo

Henry Blewer

That sounds good. Python would be my choice. Rexx second. Python would allow easy integration with Blender. It has good features also. Rexx has easier and more powerful math capabilities. I don't know if anyone is using it much anymore.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T