"Measuring Mode"

Started by kevnar, June 09, 2009, 04:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevnar

I was looking at a close up of a fake stone with a scale of 1. I assumed that meant 1 meter. But I clicked on measuring mode button and drew a little line on the ground in front of it of about half the length of the stone, thinking I'd get some idea of its relative scale. The measuring mode window said the line was 50,000 kms long. Apparently I'm mistaken on what measuring mode does.

Any comments?

Tangled-Universe

How far did you let the preview render finish? I believe you have to render it up to 80% to get good accuracy.
As far as I know the scale in the fake stones is like any scale in TG2, all metres.
Hence the "round" number of 50.000km I'm pretty sure you did something wrong.

Martin

RArcher

Also possible that the clipping is set too far for a close up view.  Use "[" or "]" to adjust it so you aren't seeing "through" the terrain.

neuspadrin

sometimes it doesnt catch the foreground if you are really close to it, and jumps through to the other side of the planet, create a huge number ;)

kevnar

I usually just set the camera to 1.6m off the ground, about eye-level for the average person. Then you can judge the approximate sizes of the objects that way.

Matt

Quote from: neuspadrin on June 09, 2009, 04:47:56 PM
sometimes it doesnt catch the foreground if you are really close to it, and jumps through to the other side of the planet, create a huge number ;)

Yeah, there is a limit to how close you can get to the ground (I think it's 1 metre) when taking measurements, or painting, or anything else that locks onto the polygons in the preview. We should fix that.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

I got owned lol
I wonder if making the Gradient Patch Size smaller in the Compute Terrain node would help?
;D
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

Mohawk20

Quote from: cyphyr on June 09, 2009, 07:47:38 PM
I got owned lol
I wonder if making the Gradient Patch Size smaller in the Compute Terrain node would help?
;D
Richard

Lol! "Matt scores"!  ;D
Howgh!

Matt

All's i'm sayin' is how it is, is all :)