Pausing Renders

Started by viche12345, January 29, 2007, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viche12345

I think I have found a way to pause a render without having the computer run overnight:

Click "Pause" in the render dialog and HIBERNATE the computer

Will that work?  ;)

Oshyan

It certainly should. In some cases you may find Hibernate isn't allowed due to memory/resource use (I think), but in general it should be fine.

- Oshyan

edlo

I pause a render in my laptop and then put it to sleep, next morning I wake up the thing and in seconds I am rendering again, hibernation takes too long and sometimes fail ;D

groverwa

Gday

Works for me with hibernate and the render in pause mode - I did try this before but did not put it pause mode and it failed to continue

Mike

bigben

Also resumes just fine without pausing. I often have to just close up my laptop to avoid missing my station  ;)

Tangled-Universe

Pausing the render and putting the pc in stand-by mode works fine for me too.
Luckily, since I can't sleep because of the noise of the fan while rendering :)

Dark Fire

I can't see any reason for this not working, bit I still think it would be more useful for Terragen to have the ability to pause, quit, and then resume.

viche12345

Yes, I agree. And I believe Planetside is considering that function

Dark Fire

Quote from: viche12345 on February 01, 2007, 05:57:13 PM
Yes, I agree. And I believe Planetside is considering that function
They are - see this topic.

king_tiger_666

interesting i'll definately be giving this a go at some stage... though standby seems safer than hibernate if you are paranoid about power cuts...

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Dark Fire

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on February 03, 2007, 08:17:28 AM
... though standby seems safer than hibernate if you are paranoid about power cuts...
Standby requires a supply of electricity to keep data in the RAM. Hibernate stores a copy of the data on the RAM on the hard drive, enabling you to completely power-down the computer. This data is then restored when you start the computer up again. That is why hibernate is better than standby if you want to avoid loosing your render due to a power cut...

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 03, 2007, 01:47:10 PM
... though standby seems safer than hibernate if you are paranoid about power cuts...
Standby requires a supply of electricity to keep data in the RAM. Hibernate stores a copy of the data on the RAM on the hard drive, enabling you to completely power-down the computer. This data is then restored when you start the computer up again. That is why hibernate is better than standby if you want to avoid loosing your render due to a power cut...

Well, that said, how do you do it? I know how to put the pc in stand-by but how to put into hibernate? Do you have to use some software for it or is it a (hidden) function in windows?

Martin

buzzzzz

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 03, 2007, 02:21:42 PM

Well, that said, how do you do it? I know how to put the pc in stand-by but how to put into hibernate? Do you have to use some software for it or is it a (hidden) function in windows?

Martin

Hi Martin!

I never hibernate mine but what you do is go to display settings....screensaver......power settings.....hibernate tab. If I recall there's something about never setting hibernate and standby at the same time interval. Otherwise it might never wake up.

Volker Harun

And have one thing about hibernation in mind:
It takes HD-Space. If you have 1GB RAM it takes 1GB Diskspace.
It is written into a stationary, hidden file.

Volker

oggyb

Quote from: buzzzzz on February 03, 2007, 02:34:52 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 03, 2007, 02:21:42 PM

Martin

Hi Martin!

I never hibernate mine but what you do is go to display settings....screensaver......power settings.....hibernate tab. If I recall there's something about never setting hibernate and standby at the same time interval. Otherwise it might never wake up.

Once you've told your computer to use hibernate, I'd make sure it doesn't do it while you're away.  Have your power settings set to never for pretty much everything (except maybe screen), and hibernate manually from the task manager (ctrl alt del).
M.