CG or not?

Started by FrankB, June 15, 2009, 02:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confusoid

This is a photograph with some extreme exposure processing done in post.

Oshyan

:o Someone got their hands on an alpha of TG3! ;)

- Oshyan

scott8933

If it was CG, I'd think the author would have composed it better. Not a bad image overall, but the extreme contrast throughout and DOF that looks to be about f/128 leaves it without a real focal point. Nothing really draws me in, except maybe the part where the foreground rock's shadow reveals some of the lake. But there's no real payoff there, except clearer rocks in the lake.

Sorry - too many years of art school crits still manage to bring out the critic in me...

I'm just thinking if he'd stepped about 15-20 feet to his right, he could have made that big rock in the foreground a better point of interest.

Sometimes you need to get your feet wet to get that great shot.

Jack

for starters its under da photo section lolz ;)
bt its an awesome piece someone should recreate this in terragen the water looks very terragen.9ish
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

schmeerlap

He's got it in the photography section; his interests don't include 3d or CGI, but do include photography; his current residence is Calgary, so that'll put the lake a couple of energetic strides from his doorstep. So I'm leaning towards "not".

Hercule (wees ze aid of my leetle grey cells you understand, mon ami)

"Hah, that infernal Wetbanana fellow has stolen some of my thunder, noh. I am not happy, Hastings".
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

FrankB

Scott, I agree it's not a very good photo.
I think that maybe all that post pro he did to the photo made it look very cg.

All: I saw that it has been posted under the photo section, but as it has a strong CG look to me, I wasn't entirely sure if the guy did not render an image and applied some heavy post pro to it to add detail. I would say given you have the right quality terrain, this can easily be done in TG2.

Regards,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

The most difficult part of the image to do in TG2 is perhaps the soft rippled water...?

scott8933

One giveaway to me: If you see the big version, in the lower left corner about an inch up and 1.5 inches over, is what looks like some moss or something on the rock. It's a piece of detail that doesn't appear anywhere else, and all-CGI images don't usually have single unique (and relatively minor) elements like that. Not that you couldn't do that in TG, its just that most people wouldn't take the time. Or if they did, you'd see it in a few places - not just one little spot like that.

Just out of curiosity - I've seen these sites before where you can purchase prints of a particular image. Anyone have firsthand experience, and actually sold one? Do good ones sell okay? Or is it more like a "enough money to buy a cheeseburger, but only twice a year" kind of thing?

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 15, 2009, 07:46:16 AM
The most difficult part of the image to do in TG2 is perhaps the soft rippled water...?

goldfarb

Moraine Lake is really one of the most stunning places...it's about 1 1/2 outside of Calgary...
this photo betrays a bit too much time goofing around with exposure IMO...
google Moraine Lake and you'll see how much better it should look.
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

latego

It's an HDRI image: you understand from the fact that every part of it has a good contrast, something that it is impossible with normal photos due to large lighting differences (e.g. dark cloud bottom and lake ripples are equally well visible).

In general HDRI photography creates beautiful but highly unrealistic images due to its capability of handling large luminosity ranges.

Bye!!!

P.S.: a much better example http://neeuq2006.deviantart.com/art/Reflected-Tree-HDRI-83718837 here.

Thelby

A Photograph of one of the most impressive places in Canada, Moraine Lake.
I can sit for hours and draw inspiration from the place.