.obj's scale from world origin?

Started by LaFrance, June 17, 2009, 10:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaFrance

Hi all,

I'm trying to nail down scale moving  from GeoControl to Maya to Terragen. Upon importing
.obj's, and scaling them up, it seems they only scale relative to world (0,0,0) rather than object space.
something I'm missing? if this is true, can this be changed? or do others see some advantage to this?

thanks,

Brian

rcallicotte

Brian, you probably already know Terragen's unit measurement is one meter.  Not sure what you're asking, though.  TG2's world origin is 0,0,0 by default.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

LaFrance

Hi Calico,

I'm asking why an .obj would scale in world space rather than object space? Object space would make far more sense to me, but
even having the option would be great.

B

rcallicotte

Maybe this is something the developers have been thinking about.  I don't know.  As far as I understand it, this feature isn't available in TG2.  But, I'm still learning so much that it's possible I still don't understand what you're asking.  Maybe Planetside staff will check in on this one.

FrankB

To be honest I can't think of why an object should scale in anyting else than in world space, because that's the context it exists in.
I don't understand how an object could scale within is self-context (object space), doesn't make sense to me.

If I have a tree, I know that in the real worl it's (say) 10m tall. Those 10m for example could be 1/5 of the cliff wall next to that tree. In world space, that makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it?

Regards,
Frank

rcallicotte

Is this just semantics?  LaFrance, if you're saying that there is some other way to measure an object than its actual size in TG2, then that isn't correct.  I have used too many objects compared to the procedurals to see that one meter in TG2 is one meter in TG2.  If the object comes in with weird sizing (not measuring up to the scene), it's usually due to how it was exported from whatever program I was using and has nothing to do with how it was imported into TG2.  I tend to export as if exporting from Maya or Modo.

LaFrance

any xform has an origin. what I am referring to is the coordinate system origin about which an object is scaled.
i.e. suppose i have an object that is at 1000,0,1000 units (it's "world space" location), and I scale that object by 2 because I want to make it twice as big
as it currently is. It will now be twice as big, but will no longer be at world space 1000,0,1000, but at 2000, 0, 2000. Dig? it isn't a question of how
big the thing ends up being, but where the origin of the scale is coming from... ? not sure how else to explain it.

LaFrance

ok, so, after all that... never mind  :-[

looks like my object wasn't being refreshed (cache issue? ) after re-exporting with the pivot in the right place. Just restarted tg, loaded scene and it all works.
Obj's do indeed scale in object space.

sorry for any confusion

B

rcallicotte