Batch Rendering

Started by ProjectX, January 31, 2007, 07:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectX

I was looking at command_line.txt in the Docs folder of the tech preview installation and there's a command to render a frame. How difficult would it be to make a program that takes a list of filepaths and executes these commands?

This is the line that interests me:

Run Terragen without the GUI, render a frame (eg. 42), then close:

%TERRAGEN_PATH%/tgdcli myproject.tgd -hide -exit -r -f 42

Now I only have basic knowledge of VB6 so I'm probably not the best person for the task, but is it possible to make such a program?

swiftstream

Not difficult. I've never programmed in VB, but all the program has to do is

1) Read the list of files
2) For each file, concatenate it with one (or two) static strings to get a valid CLI command (assuming it renders each file on frame 1)
3) Execute each command.

Unfortunately, the command line interface is currently not working. I believe it's supposed to be fixed in the next update (sometime soon...).

Dark Fire

I have already done this for Terragen 0.9, although in a more user-friendly way than simply reading a list of files. See my website for the programs, which can also be used to render animations accross networks and do useful things like let your computer 'rest' every now and then or run a program when a render is finished. I have written a version of my software for T2TP, but it is still a beta as I have been unable to test it, due to the command line being broken.

I have no idea what VB has to do with the task of batch rendering.

swiftstream

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 01, 2007, 02:54:23 PM
I have no idea what VB has to do with the task of batch rendering.

Nothing, really... ProjectX just mentioned that he had some basic knowledge of it, and I picked up on that with a reference in my post.