Overlay Test 1

Started by GxMew, July 06, 2009, 02:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GxMew

How Do I put the image into the scene without photoshop? I know to use the plane tool...but how DO you use the plane tool?

Higher Quaility Image: http://gxmew.deviantart.com/art/Anime-Overlay-Image-128502564
AMD Athlon 64 @1.6 GHZ

ATI Radeon X1250

Render Times = Days...And in some cases weeks o.o

dandelO

Hi, GxMew. The plane object could be used by applying the image, with a 'default shader', to the plane's 'surface shader' input.

You'd also need to make a black/white opacity map to use in the default shader. You'll need PS for that, obviously, but you'll get the image into your actual scene that way, instead of having to postwork it in.

Use your magic wand, or polygonal selector in PS to select all the parts you want applied to the plane, colour this part white, then, right click and 'select inverse' with your magicwand selector, colour this part black. Save that as 'image-alpha'. This is then loaded into your default shader's 'opacity image', leave its settings at the defaults.

Applying images to TG planes is quite tricky sometimes, when you get it all nice and then change its size the image will not rescale with the plane. You can fix it but it's a lot of hassle.
You might want to use a plane.obj made in another 3d app'(any app' will do) and image-map it in there. Then just simply import the object into TG and re-apply the images, if you need to, with 'object UV' settings.

dandelO

That's how I made this wee Roadrunner.tgo. ^^

You can try and apply your images to this .tgo, it's just a basic plane object made in Carrara. It's the same object I applied my snowflake images to. Works as both Roadrunner and a snowflake with default settings. It might work for you.

If you have any trouble, send me the image in this thread and I'll try and make it into a billboard object for you.

Dune

Why 2 images? I always make a tiff with an alpha layer, then activate 'use alpha' in opacity. Does using 2 images have advantages that you know of, and I don't?

---Dune

dandelO

Simply a smaller total filesize, Dune. It's also just what I'm used to. :)

GxMew

OMG YES!!! you guys rock I got it to work!!! thankies!!
AMD Athlon 64 @1.6 GHZ

ATI Radeon X1250

Render Times = Days...And in some cases weeks o.o