Adding a hill in the middle of a plain

Started by mrwho, February 01, 2007, 06:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwho

How would I do that? I've got a great terrain that I rendered, with mountains on all sides of an open plain. How would I add a hill in the middle? Would a crater shader with negative values do the trick? I want it to look natural, though

Will

Im not sure of exactly what you want to do but you could try a heightfield.

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

A crater shader with some displacement applied to it and a negative depth should work.  You could also create a little black-and-white image of what you want the hill to look like and then extrude it from the terrain.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

mrwho

Basically I'm trying to recreate a scene from The two Towers where they show the Rohan village in the middle of an open plain, with mountains surrounding it (which was actually as they found it in new zealand, they didn't tweak it with CGI).
Obviously, it's nowhere near being even partly done, but here's wher it's at now (after a couple minutes work)

Now i just tried a inverted crater, but it needs some tweaking

mrwho

weird effect with my crater..... I added a second one, and it was looking better, but then I adjusted the rim skirt and softness/tightness, and I got this

old_blaggard

Wooh!  With some cool texturing, those could be some awesome blobs :P.  I like your model, by the way; where did you get it?  Also, try applying some displacement to the crater, and maybe use an image map shader to extrue the flat part you need for Edoras.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

mrwho

thanks. I found the model online, it was a Google Sketch model, i just exported it from Google SketchUp Pro as an obj file and it works. Not all of them do, though. Sometimes parts of the model look weird (parts missing) or just not there. How do I attach the TGD file?

Will

just going into advanced options at the ottom and click "Browse" :)

Regards,
Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

mrwho

gotcha, thanks. Alright, here's the TGD file