Iona (+.tgd)

Started by dandelO, July 02, 2009, 10:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arisdemos

Thanks for the tgd file it looks like a good scene to try implementin a further study of  your former caustics lesson thread. You are an inspiration not just for your insight into the logic of this software, but for your generous contributions/interface with the members of this forum and the tg2 user at large.

dandelO

Aymenk: I like to use a plane object for water instead of a lake, for a couple of reasons; The plane can be scaled much easier than the lake, on either axis, it can also be rotated. ;)
Long, thin rivers, imagine the example, would be better rendered as a long thin strip that covers only the area it needs to, not a massive disc of sub-terrain water that needs rendered but is never seen anyway. The lake wastes a lot of resources and time, in my opinion.
I do have a method for completely masking out sub-terrain water with a painted shader and the opacity channel of a default shader, you have used it here, I believe... http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=6863.0. You'd have noticed that no water rendered beneath the surface of your terrain? This one actually uses an image map for opacity because it was made before the painted shader was released, simply replace the image with a painted shader and paint your own river in the 3D preview to keep the entire thing TG.
Most times, though, it's easier to just use a plane.(you can also mask this, so it makes no difference, really what you use, I just prefer a plane. :)

Also, I'd previously imagined the lake was responsible for the train-track/fanlines in water scenes. This has since happened to me with the plane aswell, though. It seems to me now, to be repeating fractals that makes it happen. This is helped by simply checking 'microvertex jittering' in the render node. As advised by Planetside.

My terrains are planes a lot of the time, aswell. I like planes. :)

dandelO

Quote from: arisdemos on July 06, 2009, 01:26:44 PM
Thanks for the tgd file it looks like a good scene to try implementin a further study of  your former caustics lesson thread. You are an inspiration not just for your insight into the logic of this software, but for your generous contributions/interface with the members of this forum and the tg2 user at large.

Well, thankyou very much, Arisdemos. :)

The caustics work better in this image because they are blended with a power fractal, instead of by their own warper in the internal network. I'm still optimizing the caustics file and, I'm pleased to say, it's getting closer. What I need to learn how to do is to actually 'warp' the voronoi cells, themselves... I've stumbled upon the 'distort by normal' button in the new blend shader fractal for the caustics, this is working the way I wanted(to a point)... Update when I can. In the meantime, you can check the setup in the Iona.tgd for how this works(disable the waterplane and check/uncheck distort by normal in the blend shader to see the difference between different distortion values, or just load the caustic and blend shaders as a clip into a default scene and attach it after your 'base colours')...

dandelO

Actually, looking at this .tgd again, 'distort by normal' isn't checked in it. I must've just discovered this after I'd rendered, it was very recently. :)

Here's a clip and a preview of 3 different distortion values, it breaks up the solid lines of voronoi, somewhat...

No distortion:
[attachimg=#]

Distort by normal = 5:
[attachimg=#]

Distort by normal = 10:
[attachimg=#]