Hello and newbie question on object importing

Started by FXFletch, December 31, 2011, 02:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXFletch

Hi all,

Just starting on TG 2 and have been doing my best to find as much information as I can online and in the threads, one thing I am really having trouble with is how to combine objects created in C4D with my scenes. There are some great examples on this site but I can't see how to do it. If I export my object from C4D R12 as a .obj file then it arrives in TG 2 with no materials.

I have followed the links mentioned on the site for plugin's etc but either the links are broken or the plugin's don't work with latest version of C4D.

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers

cyphyr

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The obj is a widely used but not entirely standardised format. Take your output from C4D and load it into Poseray (its free and small) and re-export as an obj. As long as your not using C4D procedural textures your model will load properly into Terragen. If you are (using C4D procedural textures) see if C4D has a bake texture option. You may have to manually re-assign the transparency channel.

Hope this helps and have a happy new year.

:)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

airflamesred

As cyphyr sais, if using c4d procedurals, they probably won't export. TG will read the mtl file and asign a colour. My advice would be use the inherant power of c4d, UV map and texture (via bodypaint or PS) and import into TG. I think you'll find some pleasing results.

FXFletch

Happy New Year and thanks both for the quick and helpful response.

I have done a quick test as you suggested and that works fine I exported from C4D as .3DS and then converted to OBJ  ;D

For your interest I have attached my first project as you can see it is crying out for a nice pirate ship in the cove  :)

I will post the completed project for suggested improvements.

Thanks

Ian

airflamesred