Manual

Started by Axe, December 30, 2011, 03:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axe

I have found the existing user manuals incredibly helpful in getting me started in Terragen.  But now I have many more questions on areas that were only touched on briefly in the official user guide, or more importantly, promised to be covered in the part 2:

Quote from: Oshyan on June 23, 2009, 02:52:18 AM
Part 1 of the User Guide for Terragen 2 is now available on the Terragen 2 Help page of our website: http://www.planetside.co.uk/content/view/31/47/
Part 1 covers fundamental concepts of Terragen 2, as well as a complete overview of the user interface.

Part 2 will be available soon, consisting of information on working with each scene element (terrain, lighting, etc) as well as rendering, animation, etc.

- Oshyan

Since Part 1 was completed in 2009, is there any plan to complete Part 2 in the near future?  I'd rather read the manual and learn at my own pace, than have to post countless questions here on this forum.

Looking forward to advancing my abilities with Terragen, but severely hampered by the lack of documentation.....

Axe

Oshyan

While Part 2 is in progress, unfortunately I don't think it is likely to be available so soon that it would be a natural next step in your learning progression - in other words if you want to continue learning without a significant break, you'll likely need to rely on other sources. What we're finding in writing it also is that there are quite simply so many ways to do things in TG2 that we can't really effectively document them, instead we just have to outline the major areas of functionality and the fundamental scene elements and how they function together, and leave it open to the user's creativity and hopefully their increased understanding of how things work together to create what they're aiming for. I'm sorry that we can't offer more comprehensive documentation at this point, it is a consistent issue for people that we certainly acknowledge and are working to resolve.

- Oshyan

hughbee

Don't forget that Part 1 is now dated and will have to be updated also.

Oshyan

Yes, that's true to a certain degree as well.

- Oshyan