4.7 trillion triangles rendered

Started by Oshyan, June 20, 2009, 04:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

I have a question about objects. I read that Terragen 2 uses triangles for it's polygons. Is this true? It would be helpful to create objects using triangles instead having the converter do it. Better accuracy.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Mandrake

Quote from: Oshyan on June 23, 2009, 11:27:56 PM
2 million? Pah! I'm not impressed. ;)

Ah, I have an idea: Arbaro. ;D

- Oshyan
My Walker is up to 2042136 polys so far, but it will also depend on how many 1024x 2048x.... etc. textures maps your going to load with that too!
A two million poly model could fail over a 4 million poly model if the textures get out of hand. So I guess you need a new formula poly + Tex= total load on tg2
Kenny

Oshyan

True enough. It's all in the various combinations of details, settings, etc. anyway. I'm more interested in finding the specific limits in different areas, e.g. I might test (again) the max image size with some of that Blue Marble data, but do that separately from pure geometry.

Btw, now I'm playing with animating the 4.7 trillion tris, hehe. Looks like about 20 minutes per frame at 720x480... on my new Core i7. ;D

- Oshyan

jo

Hi Oshyan,

Quote from: Oshyan on July 08, 2009, 11:53:15 PM
Btw, now I'm playing with animating the 4.7 trillion tris, hehe. Looks like about 20 minutes per frame at 720x480... on my new Core i7. ;D

Just wait until my 8 core Xeon Nehalem shows up ;-).

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

Quote from: jo on July 09, 2009, 02:15:09 AM
Hi Oshyan,

Just wait until my 8 core Xeon Nehalem shows up ;-).

Regards,

Jo
You mean after you bring Mac performance up to parity with Windows? ;)

- Oshyan

jo

Hi Oshyan,

Quote from: Oshyan on July 09, 2009, 03:09:27 AM
You mean after you bring Mac performance up to parity with Windows? ;)

The sampler and I will get to know each other well :-). I bet I already know why it's slower though, but we'll see, we'll see...

Regards,

Jo

Mandrake

on my new Core i7. ;D

- Oshyan

Bark at the moon.. ;) I've been holding off and squirreling it away for the win 7 release
Maybe Jo will have TG2-64 by then poke, hint, plug,...

Oshyan

A lot of retailers are giving upgrade to Win7 deals if you buy a Vista machine now...

- Oshyan

Mandrake

Well, I haven't loaded a single Vista machine yet, no reason to start now ;)