Anyone somewhat skilled in 3D Studio max (or some other 3D modelling program)?

Started by mrwho, February 02, 2007, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwho

I could use your help. I used to be able to use 3D Studio decently, but it's been a while. I got a model of Minas Tirith (LOTR geek here) and upon using it in TG, I discovered that only part of it was partially complete, and it needs to be fixed in a 3D modeling program. Basically, it just needs some new faces, but I can't remember or know how to fix it.

Edit: the file's too big, I'll upload it somewhere else and link here, hang on

king_tiger_666

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

3DGuy

You've uploaded the tgo file. Upload the 3ds or max file if you want people to edit it :P

mrwho

:: smacks self in head :: Wow, I'm an idiot. Sorry guys :-[

here's the file. Really, I'm not lying this time

http://www.mediafire.com/?eauqjnminny

king_tiger_666

that 3ds file doesn't open in 3dsmax or wings3d for me... some error message

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

3DGuy

Oh my what a messy mesh. The data isn't really missing, half of the polygons are just facing the wrong way.

mrwho

yeah, it's messy. Esp the big thing in the middle that divides the city in half

3DGuy

Frankly, it's too messy. I see double polygons, poly's that shouldn't be there, reversed normals.

I've done some searching and found another free model:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/246962/

Maybe that'll help you out.

SeerBlue

Just for info, the Minas Tirith model linked above is in max file format. For those who would like to use it, or any max file, but don't have 3ds max, just download the fully functional demo. I used the demo to export the Minas Tirith model as an object file, but could not get it to open in TGTP without running it thru Wings 3D and doing the Tessellate>Quadrangulate faces steps. It is a big scale model so it did not even show in wings, but it still worked for tesselation>quadrangulation of the faces and saving as object again. Once I had it open in TGTP and the shaders set I saved it as a tgo and have had no problems at all . SeerBlue