Question about redirect shader and merge shader (and warp shader)

Started by Elegy, July 19, 2009, 07:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Also, Matt, as I wrote, I would be confused by calling a surface shader "material", which in my mind is not more than the color of a surface. As the surface layer is color and displacement at the same time, I think it's accurate to call them surface layers.

At least, that sounds intuitively correct to me :-)

Frank

efflux

OK thanks Matt. Surface is actually better. In most 3D apps you have materials that contain all the components created by various textures. They do have colour and displacement but they are connected to one object or polygon group.

I understand how the warp shader works which is the main thing.

efflux

See only now (after 2 1/2 years) can I actually explain to other Mojo users how TG2 does everything compared to Mojo. This is why there are no Mojo users here. They can't work out how to do things even although most of the basic same results are possible.

Matt

I never really set out to copy Mojoworld ;)  There are inevitably going to be many things that Mojo names differently.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: efflux on August 12, 2009, 10:30:51 AM
OK thanks Matt. Surface is actually better. In most 3D apps you have materials that contain all the components created by various textures. They do have colour and displacement but they are connected to one object or polygon group.

It's the same in Terragen. A material, under the bonnet, is the thing that's connected to one object or polygon group. It's just implied by the shader connections so you don't ever need to see which 'material' is attached to the planet because there is only one material attached to the planet.

With imported objects that use the Object Part nodes and Parts Shader, it's a bit more confusing. Perhaps the Object Part node could be named Material instead, but really it refers to the polygon group, with the material assignment being the actual shader connection, as with the planet. Well, that's not always true, depending on how the materials were read from the object and the material file. It gets complicated.

Matt

Matt

Quote from: FrankB on August 12, 2009, 10:18:58 AM
Also, Matt, as I wrote, I would be confused by calling a surface shader "material", which in my mind is not more than the color of a surface. As the surface layer is color and displacement at the same time, I think it's accurate to call them surface layers.

At least, that sounds intuitively correct to me :-)

In CG usually a material is a collection of all shaders, textures, attributes etc. - everything that defines the look of a surface or volume, not just its colour.

Matt

R3igN

Hi

Question:

1) How do i apply two color in my terrain and blend this two color together?

Do i need a shader?

2) In the altitude constraints and slope constraints.. If i dont check the "limit maximum altitude" does putting/altering
the value still works?

3) When i put "surface layer 02" below that of "surface layer 01" does color of surface layer 01 overlaps color of surface layer 02?
Or Surface layer 02 is out?---How to blend to colors?

4) What's Input node, colour function, luminousity function, displacement function, break up shader, child layer and blending shader?

If i put "Surface layer 02" and connect it to any of this nodes to "Surface layer 01" what will happend?

Thnx!  few more info and i guess i will be PRO..XD ----I dont think so-

Please help!