Fire Ridge

Started by mr-miley, July 22, 2009, 06:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, you're a crazy dude indeed ;D

In case you ever run into the same problem and don't mind ultra-accuracy: 1st only render the sky (disable render surfaces in the render-node) without raytracing and then 2nd render the terrain (atmo disabled in render-node). Fire up photoshop and it would be "just" around 100 hours :p

mr-miley

Ta for all the extra comments. Much appreciated  ;D

TU, I had thought about this, and it would have probably halved the render time, as the terrain took ages to render in itself, but by the time i realised that it was going to take an insane amount of time it had become a matter of principal  ::) More fool me  ;D

Hetzen, quite right, though in my defense, if the lights didn't shine through the terrain, I wouldn't have had to go through this  >:( Fixing that added about 400 hours to the render

Seth, see above  ;D I don't think it was worth the render time either. Problem was that it was taking 10 hours or so for a tiny crop render at lowish quality. Now I have patience, but not THAT much  :D

Miles  ;D
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Henry Blewer

When I began raytracing in 1987, I input the data for a chrome chair by hand. It had to be drawn on graph paper first. The chair had 280 vertices; it was quite simple. The render took 6 days at 320 x 200. This was using a raytracer which eventually was released as Sculpt 3D.
Patience is everything...
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: mr-miley on July 28, 2009, 04:00:25 AM
TU, I had thought about this, and it would have probably halved the render time, as the terrain took ages to render in itself, but by the time i realised that it was going to take an insane amount of time it had become a matter of principal  ::) More fool me  ;D

Hetzen, quite right, though in my defense, if the lights didn't shine through the terrain, I wouldn't have had to go through this  >:( Fixing that added about 400 hours to the render

I'm 100% sure it would reduce the rendertime way more than a half. You had raytraced atmo and clouds as well if I'm correct. Disabling raytracing in atmo alone reduces rendertime often by a factor of ~3-4.
Anyhow, doesn't matter, you learned your lesson ;D I must admit I sometimes also let something render a bit longer than necessary and then I also have a kind of principle of letting it finish, despite the rendertime. But not for almost 700 hours :P lol

littlecannon

Quote from: njeneb on July 28, 2009, 08:13:06 AM
When I began raytracing in 1987, I input the data for a chrome chair by hand. It had to be drawn on graph paper first. The chair had 280 vertices; it was quite simple. The render took 6 days at 320 x 200. This was using a raytracer which eventually was released as Sculpt 3D.
Patience is everything...

I'm pretty sure I was Breaking and doing graffiti in 1987 ::)...
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...