Terragen 2.0 review @ 3D World Magazine

Started by Tangled-Universe, July 11, 2009, 10:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Hmm ... core scaling 'v' 64bit support ... discuss ..
:o)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

You can use all 8 cores in TG2.  Just make sure you set it up that way manually, if TG2 doesn't recognize it upon initialization.

Quote from: bertrand on July 22, 2009, 11:56:27 AM
Thanks for the info Jo.

I upgraded my workstation (8 cores, Nehalem) a few weeks ago but haven't tested TG2 on it yet since I assumed it wouldn't handle more than 4 cores. I guess I should give it another go.

Core scaling is a pretty vital issue for apps that rely on slow, high-quality renderers like Tg2, I would have thought.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bertrand

Thanks Calico. Of course, in an ideal world, it would use 16 threads, like Vray does...

EDIT: Well, I stand corrected. Got a relatively simple scene here (no pops or objects) and Tg2 uses all 16 threads at 90 per cent. Had to raise the cache to the max.

jo

Hi Bertrand,

It's only been with the release of the Core i7/Nehalem machines that it's become an issue. I mean, it always was going to be, but at some point in the future. It's true there were 8 core machines available previously, but with Core i7/Nehalem having worthwhile hyperthreading the future is now :-). It's also a matter of having the hardware to properly test, and in the case of a Mac Pro it's a really substantial investment. Nevertheless I have one on the way and look forward to getting to the bottom of the scaling issues on the Mac particularly. Handily I can look at both Mac and Windows with the one machine.

Regards,

Jo

bertrand

Well, Jo, it sure is working for me over here. And it renders amazingly fast!