The edge of the world.

Started by David Burnett, February 03, 2007, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Burnett

I appear to have found the edges of the world :-) At least it looks like the
classic Terragen 0.9 'issue' where you could see the black area pass the end of the terrain.

[attachthumb=1]
[attachthumb=2]

I would have though TG2 would not have had such a problem, by it's very nature, so I though I'd mention it here.

Dave

old_blaggard

That's odd.  Without looking at the tgd file, I'm guessing that this terrain is a heightfield and that the rest of the terrain is textured black somehow - either because of the small-scale displacement bug or because you made it so.  It is pretty unusual, though.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

David Burnett

Although the scene did have a height field in it at one point but it's not there any more.
The original scene has designed to test a linear sand dune noise for planetGenesis, then, since the noise was a fairly simple bit of maths I decided to try the same algorithm directly in the network node.
that all that worked fine, then I stuck a power fractal in to add some variation to the land and notices the black area. I would have thought its a part of the terrain too if it was not of the smoothness of the curve.

old_blaggard

Well, I just downloaded your tgd file and rendered it, and it turned out fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is....
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Emerald_Ice

interestingly enough, it refuses to render anything but the atmosphere and on my machine. no idea what the problem is though.

Cyber-Angel

To me it looks like rendering is not complete and the black area is yet to be completed. I do have a question when this area of black was seen was the rendering counter still running or was it stopped with the Micro triangle count displayed which indicates that rendering is complete?

If it was the former the I suspect that rendering had not been completed, I have never seen issues like this with the TG2 renderer if this where not a TG2TP render I would have said increase you sky size and/ or altitude settings and use the 3D preview in 0.9.43 to help you, but this is a TG2TP image so this is not applicable in this case since TG2 uses a global atmosphere model.

If its only rendering the atmosphere are you sure that the Surfaces Visible Checkbox is checked and hasn't been inadvertently been unchecked this may seem obvious but I have to ask?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

David Burnett

It believe the render was finished, I did not pause it, and as far as I know you can only save the render it when it's finished.

I've just loaded the tgd and you can see it on the 3D preview it you let it complete and on a quick render.

If you move the cursor over the black in the 3D preview you get no x, y and z co-ordinates. Even if the cursor is over the sky you usually get a y co-ordinate.

Actually, If you move the camera straight up, theres is a lot of black, and before you lose the x co-ordinate it jumps up to the 28,000 mark the starts to decrease again but rapidly before disappearing again at around the -10,000 mark.

Weird.

Dave

Costaud

Quote from: Emerald_Ice on February 03, 2007, 06:44:18 PM
interestingly enough, it refuses to render anything but the atmosphere and on my machine. no idea what the problem is though.

I have the same result me too.

groverwa

Gday

I have just tried the tgd and all I get is atmosphere and black terrain

Any ideas

Mike

FrankB

I know what this is. In your base color shader, you have specified a feature scale of 1e-5, and a smallest scale of 0.1. That feature scale is 1/100 mm !!!

Regardless of not these values not making any sense, the combination of both causes problems.
If you would change the exponent to 1e+5, the problem goes away.

Cheers,
Frank

groverwa

Gday Frank B

Thanks for that - I will try what u said - the tgd is as I downloaded it

Mike

groverwa

Gday Frank B

Yeah that fixed the problem - but also deleting the original data in Feature Scale to zero is enough to give a realistic pic - when replacing zero with the original data I still get a realistic pic

Mike

David Burnett

If I change the base shader setting as above I still get the black, edge
of the word, effect.

If I then change the lead in scale of the power fractal to 0.00163 I get rid of
it but with new terrain in the background, beyond the old terrain
Changing it down to 0.00162 gets the edge back with old background.
Should such a small change make such a big difference  ???
[attachthumb=1]

old_blaggard

Just out of curiosity, why do you need such small-scale features when you're obviously up pretty high?

David Burnett

The features are at that scale because I was playing with the smallest scale feature, and seeing if T2TP could deal with sand grain level terrrain.

BTW I'm not that high am I? The camera is at Y:35 which I thought was 35 metres, however if you move the camera down to 33 it's half embedded in the landscape. So by my reckoning I'm at roughly at head height.