Population bug?

Started by Costaud, February 11, 2007, 09:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costaud

Here is the problem I made a scene with a population of trees, first I made a  quick test and I adjust "Area lenght a" and "Area length b" to 20000 each a quick render and all is fine but to cover the region of the scene I have to increase "Area lenght a" and "Area lenght b" to 40000 each I made a full render (800X600) anti-Aliasing at .6 and Detail at 5, I start the full render and maybe after 5 minutes of rendering Terragen 2 shut down, my computer specs are AMD Athlon 3500, Windows XP home, 3000Mb Virtual memory and I just (yesterday) upgraded my RAM from 1GB to 2GB. Does anybody have the same problem? Thanks.

duff

You may want to post the tgd for others to try. I have almost identical system specs and am currently rendering a scene with an almost identical sized population of trees which I have rendered numerous times without issue on various detail levels.

Are you using xfrog trees or other obj files? There is an issue with obj files but I don;t know where and when this manifests itself.

I assume you mean you settings are aa at 6 detail .5 ? if not I have never tried detail that high or aa that low.

Will

Well your computer specs are hight enough so I think it is either a but with memory allocation by terragen. It could also be a just that your models are in too high a detail, or you are using a image map or texture with a really really high res.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Costaud

I didn't have the original file (because I'm a really impatient angry man and I have deleted it) but I made another with the same specifications and the same result with rendering but I don't know how to upload a TGD file.

duff

When you post there is an additional options bit below the post window before the topic summary. Click it and attach the file.

Costaud

Additional options I never check this, so here the TGD file

Will

Ill look into it.

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

You're creating a population with something like 11 million instances. This is *very* high and you simply don't have enough memory for it. Keep in mind that it's not just the population area (length and width) that matter, the *spacing* actually has a much greater effect on how many instances you will have and thus how high memory use will be. In this case with a combination of 40x40km and 12 meter object spacing you have an extremely large population. It also crashed when rendering on my machine with 3GB of RAM, but I'm fairly sure this is a memory issue. It did populate successfully.

- Oshyan

Costaud

11 million instances!!! It's a lot of trees.  :)