TG2 at CGSociety

Started by FrankB, July 23, 2009, 11:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Maybe you should tell them to take the bug out of their arse ::)
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Moose

There was nothing wrong with you post, Frank. The BS answer she gave was crap, and typical. The news of you post was the results of a contest that just happened to be hosted on a site that sells stuff - nothing wrong with that.

I say post the news again, but have the winning entries displayed in your post with a link to the others. There's definitely nothing wrong with that.

FrankB

still not giving up ;-)

I replied once more and addressed her concerns with logic, and her uncomfort with a compromise. I'm curious what the reply will be.

Moose, I don't think simply posting it again is going to help. Either it will be deleted again and again (they have the longer arm), or if not deleted, the users over there would see it as spam, because it has been posted recently already (not knowing the story behind that).
No, I'd rather try to argue it away. There will be no justice, so it's a psychological battle. Interestng, if I weren't affected myself. :-)

Frank

Seth

Henry Blewer

I just recreated my membership. In the rules of the site, they reserve the right to delete any posts which point to a commercial site. (Paraphrased) I do feel their decision was arbitrary. Almost all the members of the forum have their own sites. Given that almost all the members are always looking for work, I don't see how they can discriminate on this issue. Many members sell their work from their sites.
I am not sure I really want to be a member of CGSociety. Some of the work looks like the Second Life posts on Flickr. :-X
I like Flickr, but I do not understand how they determine what is good, bad, or indifferent.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

njeneb, I agree it's a little bit uncomfortable over there at the moment, as long as TG2 remains being the underdog. But only quality presence can change that, and the potential benefits for TG2 of having more visibility in the communities of professional artists could be worth it. I would like to see more TG2 activity there. I don't think we have anything to hide. The planetside forums sure are a cozy place, but I would encourage users to step "out of the dark" as soon as they have something high quality to show.

Regards,
Frank

Henry Blewer

Looks like I will be working on the quality of my renders some more. They have a small file size for images. Even the 800 x 600 renders often are larger than the limit. I have lots of hard drive space. I don't like jpeg. Maybe I can batch convert and pick out the best ones for posting. (some are actually good, considering I am using the free edition. Thank you Planetside!)

CCC

Those guys over at CGtalk are elitist juvenile ignoramuses. If there not arguing over Maya vs Max they are claiming to be the final court of arbitration onto what is art and what is not. I'd say start over at Renderosity but Poser S&M dominates over there. Deviantart is more geared toward Painter, Photoshop and Photographers. Tough choice for sure.

Henry Blewer

Maybe, the real problem is that Max and Maya both have strong terraforming strength on their own. I have played with both on friends machines. Like Terragen 2, they both have steep learning curves. People resist learning new ways to do things. Even I, who knows everything!  ::)
Let's just start posting and contributing. The real masters of CG will notice and want to know 'how was that done'? Next thing you know, they are also hooked.

jaf

From what I've read on the Newtek site, a lot of Lightwaver's don't like CGSociety for many of the reasons posted here.  That's just an impression I got, right or wrong.  But it seems to fit with this experience.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Henry Blewer

Blender users are largely ignored there also.

Walli

but this might be, because (some) Blender users try to evangelise users of commercial apps. And then there are professional users that get blind by routine and don´t want to watch at the other side of 3D applications.

As everywhere, you´ll find some brilliant people on CGSociety, you´ll find even more dumb people. CGSociety for sure is not the holy grail, but its simply one of the most important places for CG, especially when it comes to commercial and high end work.
One way to enter this place is by showing good renders AND telling the stories behind. It´ll take some time, but when people start to realize that TG is not a "push one button" software, then they will start to appreciate.

FrankB

Quote from: Walli on July 31, 2009, 03:49:31 AM
One way to enter this place is by showing good renders AND telling the stories behind. It´ll take some time, but when people start to realize that TG is not a "push one button" software, then they will start to appreciate.

good point Walli.

CCC

That sounds reasonable to me.  :)

sjefen

Quote from: njeneb on July 31, 2009, 12:02:47 AM
Blender users are largely ignored there also.

Except when a really brilliant Blender render comes a long :)
Then they'll start talking about how fantastic Blender has become.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB