Procedural Planet Test Images

Started by nvseal, July 23, 2009, 03:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

Thelby

Extraordinary work, this should be followed by a tutorial ;D

Marcos Silveira

For the first time I see real scalled mountains on a planet shot. The previous or were too flat or were too high compared to the altitude of the pov. These are perfect!!! Definitely, a must buy... If at least there was a way to draw the continents exactly as we wanted. Maybe something for further improvement.

nvseal

Quote...If at least there was a way to draw the continents exactly as we wanted...

I suppose that would be possible now with the painted shader. you could paint the general continent shapes and use it as a displacement, then you could use another power fractal with a smaller feature scale and displacement to add details to the painted landmass. I don't know if this would work since I have never tried but I bet it would work.

cyphyr

Yes you have achieved the holy grail of Planet building, popper continents. I'd love to know how you managed to get the coast line, all I seem to be able to get is a stack of islands off the coast and a bunch of lakes just inside the coast line. I think this is because the fractal terrains displace both up and down from their mean. go on give us a clue how you did it :o)
I'll buy the nvseal planet pack for sure but can I wait that long? (heck I been trying to get this right for ooh three years now!!!!!)
Back to work now!! ;D
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

nvseal

Quote from: cyphyr on July 25, 2009, 03:22:25 PM
Yes you have achieved the holy grail of Planet building, popper continents. I'd love to know how you managed to get the coast line, all I seem to be able to get is a stack of islands off the coast and a bunch of lakes just inside the coast line. I think this is because the fractal terrains displace both up and down from their mean. go on give us a clue how you did it :o)
I'll buy the nvseal planet pack for sure but can I wait that long? (heck I been trying to get this right for ooh three years now!!!!!)
Back to work now!! ;D
Richard

Believe it or not I am stlil working on the coast island problem. What I did here was actually really simple. I made a surface layer and restricted the altitude to the shore level of the ocean. Then I copied that surface layer and used it as the displacement function of the original. I set the dispalcement to a high negative value (i.e. -5000) to get rid of the islands. This method has some problems which I am still working out and it won't work unless the planet displacements go through a compute terrain.

cyphyr

Ooh now theres an idea ... :) thanks
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

The only thing missing is the US Air Force using the Star Wars defense weapons to shoot down UFO's. Great render!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

inkydigit

very convincing stuff....well done!!

efflux

This is really cool, to see all those different scales.

TheBlackHole

You should have seen me. I practically lit up like a new sun looking at those! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

rcallicotte

Interpreted into Klingon - "This is my carrot on a stick.  Quit slobbering, calico."   ;D

Quote from: nvseal on July 27, 2009, 01:09:33 AM
One more for good measure  ;D

http://nvseal.deviantart.com/art/Procedural-Test-Image-9-131034384
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBlackHole

I really need this. And I need it FREE! I'm not going to pay for this!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

RArcher

Quote from: TheBlackHole on October 15, 2009, 10:07:52 AM
I really need this. And I need it FREE! I'm not going to pay for this!

And if that's not motivation for you to finish it I don't know what is!  oh, wait...