Vue 8

Started by reck, July 25, 2009, 06:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Hey, don't kill the messenger. Steve Jobs told me :D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

dandelO

reck

hehe E-on have really built a bad reputation for ripping people off, even their loyal existing customers are getting kicked in the teeth when it comes to the constant non-free updates that are offered every few months.

They want their customers to upgrade to the latest release each time and offer the "special" upgrade price or don't upgrade this round and then pay the "unspecial" price when it comes to the next release.

himalofa

At least Vue does not splatter animations with black triangles. I might give it another go as although TG2 renders look much better I have been unable to get rid to the black triangles and I have tried everything.

We should remember its easy to rubbish other software but they can all do the same. No progremme is perfect not even TG2.

Henry Blewer

I have had these black triangles. They seem to come from displacements which fold into themselves. Check the amount of noise used in the displacements; try reducing it when these occur.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBlackHole

I decided to download a free trial of Vue (7?) but forgot to install it, and now I don't know where the #^@! it is! Anyway, as soon as I downloaded it, they signed me up for some E-on newsletter!  >:( So every so often, I got an annoying, almost spam-type notification about every little thing they did!  >:( And Gmail didn't mark it as spam! So I decided to simply archive every installment of that spamletter and I haven't had that problem since. I probably have a million of those in my Archive now....
Anyway there's my complaint about E-on's spam "newsletter". I hope you enjoyed this.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Henry Blewer

Some of my Flickr contacts use Vue. I hate to admit it but there is some potential there. It's just way too expensive, and I have read many bad blogs about the support.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

latego

Quote from: njeneb on November 06, 2009, 10:19:56 PM
Some of my Flickr contacts use Vue. I hate to admit it but there is some potential there. It's just way too expensive, and I have read many bad blogs about the support.

Unfortunately, Vue clouds are improving: see this thread http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2786381 about a clouds package being developed for Vue 8 (Spectral Atmospheres 3)  :(

Bye...

PorcupineFloyd

I'd buy Vue 8 if it was rendering at light-speed. It seems pretty acceptable for animations (and it's also really easy), but only if it would be doing at last 0.5 FPS.

I don't want to wait a couple of minutes just to have a not-so-photorealistic frame for an animation. And doing animations with all the neat stuff (or should I say "standard" stuff for TG users) - GR + procedurals + lots of vegetation + spectral clouds, etc., would make my electricity bill cry out loud.

Gannaingh

Hmmm, those are getting better although terragen is still superior in the right hands. I particularly like the fifth picture in the thread, I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to create that in tg2 for awhile.

latego

Quote from: PorcupineFloyd on November 07, 2009, 05:20:20 AM
I don't want to wait a couple of minutes just to have a not-so-photorealistic frame for an animation.

Wait a couple of minutes? Not even on preview if you have a more than trivial scene rendered with a DVD-compatible resolution (and not even mention HDTV requirements).

As far as I have read in various forums, creating animation in Vue appears to be a not-trivial task as there is the problems of removing flickering noise; in addition, if you have dynamical components like dinamically populated scenes, you have trees popping abruptly in when you move your camera ;D

No, the problem is that Vue atmospheres appear to be catching up with TG2 ones.

Needless to say, the price tag is, as usual for E-On software, ghastly: for the sum you need to buy 8 Complete from scratch, you can get TG2 + Xfrog plants. A last consideration: I was toying with the idea to "upgrade" from 7 Infinite to 8 Complete to get read of the buggy copy protection scheme, but, apparently, it is not even considered in the offers so... I am... royally... screwed UP!

Bye >:(

Jack

vue 8 clouds are catching up but they haven't caught up and i don't think they ever will.
plus terragen is damn stable unlike vue which is basically useless because of unfixed bugs from as far back as vue 5 infinite plus all the new junk they have added in
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Bluestorm

This may be great to hear for some of you, but I am really sad right now.

I received my upgrade to Vue 8 Infinite yesterday and so far I am not very impressed. Displacement on terrains that are bigger than 512x512 are once again NOT possible without making Vue crash  >:(, and I have 12 GB of DDR3 Ram and a Core i7 920 overclocked @ 3.6 Ghz, so it's not my system's fault. Their whole promises about displacement improvements are useless if it doesn't work for high resolution standard terrains. I am not interested in displacing solely metablobs (=vue primitives with a nurbs-like surface). Vue is a landscape generator and thus it's focus should be on features that are compatible with terrains. Some custom atmospheres from Vue 7 Infinite look completely different when rendered (after hours of tweaking the atmosphere in V7 and aborting it's render in V7 because of the noise that's not a very funny thing for me) and dynamic populations from a Vue 7 scene are completely out-of-scale and appear at different places.

The terrain editor might convince me that upgrading was not such a huge mistake after all, but after playing with Vue 8 for one evening I consider this to be the worst upgrade ever. Never thought I'd be that disappointed...

latego

Quote from: Bluestorm on November 11, 2009, 08:55:57 AM
This may be great to hear for some of you, but I am really sad right now.

I am not happy to hear about other people troubles.

I read some comments on Renderosity which hinted at many differences in atmosphere behaviour so I think that you'd be better off rebuilding your .atm-s  :(. The terrain and dynamic population bugs do really suck (a hint: do not only provide a bug report, expose the bug with renders, otherwise your information will be put aside by "tech support" (sick joke) and fanboys).

The problem with that software house is that they keep adding features on features (to "justify" the dreadfull upgrde rat race) while not fixing old bugs and intrucing new ones. I like Carrara (b.t.w. DAZ just announced C8 beta before the end of the year), am going to try Blender 2.5 and am still thinking about how add TG2 to my pipeline.

Bye... again, really sorry for the bugs.

FrankB

Quote from: latego on November 07, 2009, 04:55:43 AM

Unfortunately, Vue clouds are improving: see this thread http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2786381 about a clouds package being developed for Vue 8 (Spectral Atmospheres 3)  :(

Bye...

This was a very interesting link, thank you Latego.
I think some of these clouds are pretty realistic. I do have a lot of experience with clouds in TG2, so I take the freedom to judge that not only the cloud shapes from these Vue images are good, but moreso the internal light scattering is a big step more realistic than TG2's (sorry planetside ;) ).
Given the right controls and the right fracals, both renderers seem to be able to produce nice clouds, however it's always and again the internal light scattering that I'm missing with TG2, especially since the fake internal scattering (which wasn't ideal, but at least something) has been changed.

My hopes are that this area will be looked after, as soon as this 64bit project has been completed.

Cheers,
Frank