A new animation : Cavernae

Started by Nico3333fr, July 26, 2009, 04:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

You're the most experienced TG2-animator here, but do you really need the GI surface detail with animations? It doubles to tripples rendertime.
Also, in general I have faster and as good results with GI 2/4 instead of 3/3, but I guess you really need these GI values to prevent shadow-popping, correct?
Just thinking out loud along with you.

FrankB

.. also, given the fact that all the very small scale detail get lost in the divx conversion and the motion blur, I would render these frames at a lower resolution, like - 0.7?

Frank

Hetzen

The GI blur radius is also less than the default 8. Any chance of confirming whether your cloud animation had similar settings. This is very interesting.

Hetzen

Tag to TA's post. I'm not sure the GI detail and sample quality is the problem with shadow popping, I'd hazard a guess that those items of geometry are off camera, or are just out of the claculation area, hence the snap on/off. Again, very useful to know. If I had to set off an animation render tomorrow with low sun settings, I may want to extend the frame width  to deal with such problems, to then crop back in. Nico's work is seriously good proof of concept.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hetzen on July 27, 2009, 04:26:23 PM
Tag to TA's post. I'm not sure the GI detail and sample quality is the problem with shadow popping, I'd hazard a guess that those items of geometry are off camera, or are just out of the claculation area, hence the snap on/off.

Could indeed be, I simply don't know.
If it is unrelated to shadow-popping and you still want decent GI-lighting then GI @ 2/4 is really the most bang for buck to me.

Hetzen

I fully agree. Accepting your findings, these are the settings I tend to use on GI centric renders.

tee

Wowzers was not expecting a soundtrack and such quality detail in an animation, first time I've seen an animation from TG2, you guys are just showing off now  ;D

Matt

Quote from: Hetzen on July 27, 2009, 04:26:23 PM
Tag to TA's post. I'm not sure the GI detail and sample quality is the problem with shadow popping, I'd hazard a guess that those items of geometry are off camera, or are just out of the claculation area, hence the snap on/off. Again, very useful to know. If I had to set off an animation render tomorrow with low sun settings, I may want to extend the frame width  to deal with such problems, to then crop back in. Nico's work is seriously good proof of concept.

Increasing the "Ray detail region padding" will do that for you :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Nico3333fr

Good, it is interesting !  :)
(that's why I try to animate : to find good parameters ! :-D )

I didn't want to use too low values, because I want to send an uncompressed version to the author, Seth.

So if I sum up : GI detail to 2/4 is enough, a detail between 0.7 and 0.8 is enough too. Detail blending is needed to prevent ground texture popping, if I remember well.

For light popping in my previous animation in the Clouds, I don't really know where it comes from. If I remember well, Matt advise me to set up higher GI values ? Matt ? ;)

BTW Matt, which value I could use for "Ray detail region padding" to prevent problems ? Could you explain me how to use this option ?
Still in love with Terragen animations : http://www.youtube.com/user/Nico3333fr :)

dandelO

Oh, WOW!

I cannot believe I missed this in the Summer! I was in a transitional period of turmoil in July and was off for a time.

I only came across this via YouTube since I just made a channel there, I went browsing TG stuff. Absolutely fantastic, Francke, I loved this as a still render and to see it like this is just great! Well done, you, on the scene and well done, Nico, on the Animation!

:o

Seth