Are there any official books in the works like Vue 7 The Official Guide for T2?

Started by Cadmium77, December 03, 2009, 02:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadmium77

Are there any official books in the works like Vue 7 The Official Guide or Scott Spencer's Syblex Character Creation in Zbrush for Terragen 2 Deep?

It's all too easy to overlook the power of this program given the rather humble promotion its been given. A top notch book written by a gifted artist in conjunction with the programmers would go a long way towards putting Terragen out in front where it belongs.

Oshyan

We're not aware of any books currently being written, but we'd love to work with anyone interested in doing so. We have had some interest from tutorial and content authors and we support any efforts along those lines as well. TG2 is a major departure from Terragen Classic, and has only been out of pre-release for a year, so it will probably take some time to catch up to the level of resources that other apps may have.

- Oshyan

Cadmium77

Quote from: Oshyan on December 03, 2009, 11:10:25 PM
We're not aware of any books currently being written, but we'd love to work with anyone interested in doing so. We have had some interest from tutorial and content authors and we support any efforts along those lines as well. TG2 is a major departure from Terragen Classic, and has only been out of pre-release for a year, so it will probably take some time to catch up to the level of resources that other apps may have.

- Oshyan

Thanks for the reply..

Henry Blewer

I have thought about it often enough. So far it would be a newsletter... ;D
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

nesthead

One of the problems with this application is that it was bought by people like me.  I like to make pretty pictures but I haven't got a clue about shaders and the nodes and the technicalities.  I feel like a "point and shoot" photographer that has bought the most complex camera in the universe and it didn't have an instruction book. 
I have to admit I knew what I was getting I tried the "classic" and then TG2 and then bought it and waited a year for it to be finished. I wouldn't be without it or ask for my money back but I think that as a product it would be immensly improved by having better documentation. 

The forums and wiki and the part1 manual are all fine but basically you're left with the feeling that it just is incomplete.  A bit like selling someone a complex piece of equipment and saying you'll have to ask someone else how it works.

jaf

Yes, I've wondered if the current approach is best.  But then in my real job I worked in a very regimented environment where the product would not be accepted without the whole package -- bugs fixed, performance criteria met, and documentation up-to-date.  With minor exceptions, you (the company) don't get paid until the job is completed.

Of course there's limited TG2 developer resources, but maybe there comes a time when getting the documentation on par with the current release would be a good thing?

Another thought is the 64 bit question.  Is it better to continue development/maintenance on the 32 bit code and then make the 64 bit version?  Or should the 64 bit version be developed to where the 32 bit version is now (and then continue development of both)?

How many extra sales of TG2 would there be if there were a 64 bit version and/or the documentation was up-to-date?

I'm sure the Planetside folks have discussed these issues many times and are making decisions based on their "real world."  I think most of us post our concerns because we have love the program and want to see it contunue to be successful and move forward.

You only have to look to an application like Bryce to see what happens to a very good product (in it's time) that had some bad luck/management.  I believe they would have to do a complete re-write to get it close to a modern application.

Personally, I like the way TG2 is positioned.  I don't like the "Swiss Army knife" approach (Vue.)  A good Scripting/plugins implementation can provide the more specialized things like tornados, rainbows, waterfalls, starfields, etc.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be an interesting ride.  :)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Henry Blewer

The 64 bit version is important. The software is not a toy, though we all treat it like that. This software has the ability to do serious production. 64 bit is needed for the production pipelines used by many graphic houses.

I have decided to write a beginners guide. It will cover the aspects of Terragen 2 I think I understand. I want to cover the basics of function nodes, object imports, the shaders available from the various Tabs, atmosphere and clouds. Finally a section on the node network. I may even include some tips and tricks from the forum if the authors give permission.

Admittedly, I also suffer from the lack of documentation. But from reading the various threads, I have a grasp of how things work.

Besides, it will give me something to do during renders.

Cyber-Angel

You know I'd much prefer a training DVD then a book (Though I'd buy one if available) maybe some thing done by the guys at Digital Tutors would be the way to go, though I don't know the procedure for getting stuff done and released by them.  ;D

They seem to have a lot of respect in the industry as far of quality of training materials go, so this may initially be the way forward until such time as books are written.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel        

Henry Blewer

I have had some time to tink it over. It may be better to provide the docs in pdf, or even some form of hyperlink format. (I just showed my age...) This would make updates easier and be cheaper to produce. Editors often are a pain also. It also opens the possibility of getting help immediately from within the program via a SDK app.

Cadmium77

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on December 04, 2009, 08:47:59 PM
You know I'd much prefer a training DVD then a book (Though I'd buy one if available) maybe some thing done by the guys at Digital Tutors would be the way to go, though I don't know the procedure for getting stuff done and released by them.  ;D

They seem to have a lot of respect in the industry as far of quality of training materials go, so this may initially be the way forward until such time as books are written.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel        

YOu know, there's definitely a place for video tutorials, but there's also a place for full documentation , something that can guide you and be there as a reference work as well.

Henry Blewer

I like to have something to read. Video is fine, but there is nothing better than good examples from a book. I think I retain what I read better than what I watched. Too many Gilligan's Island repeats...

Cyber-Angel

I was just thinking of people whom like my self are visual learners and think in pictures and not words, is all. Thank Y'all for listing, Y'all have a good day now,ya here!  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

PorcupineFloyd