build differences between the demo and the purchased versions

Started by shadowphile, August 16, 2009, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowphile

I'm playing with the restricted version (2.0.3.1), trying to decide whether to buy it.
I've noticed some differences in the documentation screen images vs the actual program.

My main question is: is the demo build lagging behind the latest updates or this what my purchase will buy?
thanks

Henry Blewer

I think no. But Matt and Jo have a few that are offered 'alpha' versions. The alpha version are for testing new features and bug finding. I would love to do alpha testing, maybe someday. I still have much to learn.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi,

v2.0.3.1 is the latest publicly released version, for both the Free and Deep versions. The documentation is probably lagging behind the application. There is a new version in private alpha testing at the moment. When that's ready for release we will probably release the Deep version before the Free version, generally speaking our policy is not to update the Free version until the Deep version has been out for several weeks.

Regards,

Jo

Mr_Lamppost

I've not looked at the documentation for a while but as far as I remember some of the screen shots in the documentation were actually from older versions.  As far as I know restrictions aside the demo is the same as the purchased version.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: jo on August 16, 2009, 07:37:07 PM
Hi,

v2.0.3.1 is the latest publicly released version, for both the Free and Deep versions. The documentation is probably lagging behind the application. There is a new version in private alpha testing at the moment. When that's ready for release we will probably release the Deep version before the Free version, generally speaking our policy is not to update the Free version until the Deep version has been out for several weeks.

Regards,

Jo

There you go definitive answer.   8)

I didn't get one of those "While you were typing" messages. I must have been closer than the time stamps indicate.  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

shadowphile

my my, very detailed and much appreciated information!  I thank you.
I'm sure I will have more questions.

I have one wish for new features though:
color code the node ports so that I can tell what is supposed to plug into what!
Another graphical programming language that I am very experienced with is Labview, and their paradigm is very slick.
Any port can connect to any other port but if they don't match for some reason the line is 'broken', ie a dashed line.  If the ports DO match, the line becomes solid and is color coded for type of data.  This way if a setting inside the node is changed that changes the type of data at the port, any connected wire will respond accordingly.  Oh, and the ports of course have themselves colorcoded to match the wires.

BTW, does anybody know whether I can still run TG1 if I upgrade to TG2?  I'm ready to buy and the cost is the same, so I'd rather have TG1 as a backup while I stumble through node land. :P
thanks

Matt

You can have Terragen v0.9 and Terragen 2 installed and running at the same time. The only situation when this doesn't work is if you set the environment variables (e.g. to allow Terragen to be launched on the command line from a different current directory), but that doesn't affect the majority of users. Even in that situation you can still have both installed as long as you modify the variables before launching each version.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.