Feature Request and a problem

Started by Sengin, February 09, 2007, 11:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sengin

First, the problem: whenever I have terragen set to render, after it finishes, it keeps the processor running at full speed, overheating my laptop.  This happens even if I have paused the real-time viewer (or is it the pause function of that which keeps the processor going?).  Sometimes I just leave it rendering and go somewhere or to bed, but even if the render only takes an hour, my laptop is still going at full speed for 8 hours or however long it takes to get back and save the image.  Does anyone know of a way to stop it from using all the CPU power, or is it built-in with Terragen?

And secondly, a feature request: have an option to auto-save an image after the rendering is finished and to shut down the computer or put it in standby or hibernate.  That way, the computer doesn't have to be on all night or for longer than it needs to (especially useful if the above problem can't get worked out).

Thanks!

buzzzzz

The cpu resources being used even while nothing is happening is just the way it is for now. There's nothing you can do as long as you are trying to render or set up a scene. Even when the preview render finishes TG continues to use a large amount of cpu. This is something I believe Planetside is working on.

To answer the other question, there is a program called TRAM that works with TG 9 that will start your render save the bitmap and shut down your computer when it's finished. Really nice but it has it's bugs. Don't know if it will work with TG2 or not? Might be worth looking into. Here's the link to the info and download---- http://www.tecmu.de/php/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=5

old_blaggard

Yeah, the problem with the CPU continuing to run after everything is done is a known bug.  Planetside is working on a fix and will probably be including it in their next release, which will (hopefully) come soon.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Sengin

duff

FYI - The render is currently auto saved -> see explore temporary files on the file menu.
You might be able to find an app that will shutdown the pc when CPU usage drops or if you know roughly how long the render will take after a set time period. You could even watch the above mentioned temporary file and shut the PC down once it hasn't been written to for x minutes. This would all be pretty simple to do and I would guess someone somewhere may have written something to do it as it is a common enough issue with many apps. I haven't looked though.

buzzzzz

Quote from: duff on February 10, 2007, 06:27:28 AM
FYI - The render is currently auto saved -> see explore temporary files on the file menu.
You might be able to find an app that will shutdown the pc when CPU usage drops or if you know roughly how long the render will take after a set time period. You could even watch the above mentioned temporary file and shut the PC down once it hasn't been written to for x minutes. This would all be pretty simple to do and I would guess someone somewhere may have written something to do it as it is a common enough issue with many apps. I haven't looked though.

True, if they can figure how long a scene will take to render with all the variables? Good Luck!  ;)

3DGuy

Too bad the temp file is written in bmp format while the render is in HDR :/