Large sun sunset

Started by 3DGuy, February 04, 2007, 02:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DGuy

I was playing with this and found out you can't really dim the visible disc, even if it's very weak it'll still show up as a full white blob. Setting the colour only changes the light it emits, not the colour of the disc itself. So I remembered running into a bug and took advantage of that.

The sun you see is actually a planet which I made self illuminating. Directly behind that is the sun with no visible disc. The bug is that a planet with no atmosphere will cast no shadows and thus the sun can illuminate my landscape.

I've attached the tgd also for your enjoyment.[attachimg=#]

king_tiger_666

cool work around... the lighting is also great!...
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

old_blaggard

Interesting workaround.  Nice picture, too.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Rob Allen

Are you sure?  I've always been able to make the disc any color I want by using the color and strength sliders.  Now, if you're trying to dim the disc without effecting the light color, that's a different matter.

3DGuy

Well yeah. Even if I set the suns strength to 0.01 and made the colour blue I still got a white disc. An jaggy edged disc at that.

edit: well, I was wrong apparently, if I set the suns strength really low, the disccolour changes indeed. But by then the amount of light is so low the rest of the scene is hardly visible.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

oggyb

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Mohawk20

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 05, 2007, 03:33:37 AM
edit: well, I was wrong apparently, if I set the suns strength really low, the disccolour changes indeed. But by then the amount of light is so low the rest of the scene is hardly visible.

And you can fix that by adding another sun, or light source, without a visible disc... (Which kinda' brings you back to the self-illuminating planet we started this thread with.)
Howgh!

Dark Fire

Great idea with that self-illuminating planet...