Strata

Started by efflux, August 02, 2009, 09:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogn

Quote from: efflux on August 15, 2009, 11:23:43 AM
You can hook a colour gradient into the strata. I'll post a file as soon as I get time. One has my hacked colour gradient and there is another colour gradient by mogn which I haven't tested much. I've seen two by Mogn. You want the fancy one.

By the way, I think that your color hack is some implentation of a Bezier curve.

CCC

Quote from: mogn on August 15, 2009, 11:59:09 PM
Thanks for the color swatches. At the moment I am working on a 15 color Bezier gradient using the first 15 colors from the "South West" swatch.

No problem. Looking forward to see what you come up with.  ;D

efflux

I'm not sure that I can get those swatches into Gimp but I'm going to go through creating a strata from bitmap file soon. It's a very fast way to get complex gradient.

Mogn. I don't understand the maths fully but your gradient works. However I just did a test and found that for example the red doesn't come through fully.

I just botched mine together thinking about how colours need to be blended so I used all colours for the graph. The botch is the part where I have to use the other colour to blend with. This is OK. That node could potentially be utilized in interesting ways. This file has a multiple x 2 before the gradient because I think the perlin doesn't output fully up to value 1. It seems to be around 0.5. The ideal would be to be able to control the colour placement within the gradient.

efflux

Here is an incredibly fast way to create gradients using Gimp. The screen shots are self explanatory. Create a gradient on your document and make it one pixel wide. Save this and bring it into TG2's image map shader.

efflux

Used for blend.

Volker Harun

You can also use the incredible tool stratagen2: http://sg2.jens-bringewatt.de/

BTW, I just saw cyphyr's redirect-hack on the strata-shader ... this is exactly what I was looking for :-)

rcallicotte

Thanks efflux.  I didn't know Gimp could do this. 

Thanks you guys for making strata an interesting adventure.  This is something you both do quite well and together even better (of course!).
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

I never knew there was such a thing as stratagen.

mhaze

I'd like to echo Calico and thank you for your contributions. I really struggle with the little blue thingys but your posts not only inspire ideas but have led me to my best work.

Mick

Volker Harun

mhaze

Nice, great POV and texture.

glen5700

efflux,
Very nice work and thanks for sharing, you are a very good with nodes.

Glen

mogn

Quote from: CCC on August 16, 2009, 12:15:15 AM
Quote from: mogn on August 15, 2009, 11:59:09 PM
Thanks for the color swatches. At the moment I am working on a 15 color Bezier gradient using the first 15 colors from the "South West" swatch.

No problem. Looking forward to see what you come up with.  ;D

This is what I ended up with: (I succeded in saving the gradient colours, so I have started a new round)

efflux

I don't consider myself to be very good with nodes but I get ideas about what I want the network to do and I try to get it to do that. I'm certainly not good at any maths.

Volker,

I always thought that was a great render. Now I know how you got the strata.

Mogn,

I don't know how difficult this would be but if you could have the ability to move the colours placement points within the gradient then that would be very cool.

I may be disappearing for a while. I'm moving house. The only reason I had time for TG2 the last few weeks is that the move got delayed but after I have moved I will have lots of time for TG2 :) If I decide to use this time for TG2 but I always come back to this app.

mogn

Quote from: efflux on August 17, 2009, 08:37:02 AM
I don't consider myself to be very good with nodes but I get ideas about what I want the network to do and I try to get it to do that. I'm certainly not good at any maths.

Volker,

I always thought that was a great render. Now I know how you got the strata.

Mogn,

I don't know how difficult this would be but if you could have the ability to move the colours placement points within the gradient then that would be very cool.

I may be disappearing for a while. I'm moving house. The only reason I had time for TG2 the last few weeks is that the move got delayed but after I have moved I will have lots of time for TG2 :) If I decide to use this time for TG2 but I always come back to this app.

Well I have been thinking about unequal points in the gradient. From a mathecical wievpoint I did'nt find a solution.
But recent new insight in the workings of TG2 it might be to find a useble approximation.

Happy to have restored my 15 points South West gradiient, but I have to do more testing.

For adventures people a 15 points gradient might be build in the following way:

1) Line up the 15 colors in a row.
2) Connect 14 color mix nodes between each of the 15 colors.
3) Connect 13 color mix nodes beteen the about 14 mix nodes
4) E.t.c until you end with one node
5) Connect the 0..1 control variable to each of the controller input of the 105 mix nodes.

Simple as that :D