Creating a texture image from render--need help with this

Started by Flapman, January 11, 2009, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flapman

Hi, I am exporting my Terragen Height map to create a Direct X Terrain Object.  I need to render a top - down view of my landscape to I can attach that as my terrain texture.  How do i set my camera setting etc, to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Flap

Oshyan

Set your camera Y position (middle value) very high, -90 for X rotation (first value), and set the camera to Orthographic mode. Then turn off rendering of atmosphere and set the sun to a straight overhead position as well (otherwise you get shadows "baked" into your texture which may look odd if your game engine provides shadowing). Then just render a square image at whatever size you need the texture at.

Unfortunately this is a fairly inefficient approach and requires very large resolution to get good quality. TG2 is not particularly good at high resolution renders at this point, but I don't know the capabilities of your engine or the detail you're trying to reach, so 2000x2000 or so may be ok for your needs, and is very doable in TG2 already.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi Oshyan,

We are in the TG v0.9 forum though :-). You can often make bigger images with TG v0.9 than TG2. TG Mac v0.9 can do really large images.

Regards,

Jo