Cannot launch Terragen 2

Started by PorcupineFloyd, August 04, 2009, 05:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcupineFloyd

This is very weird. Very.

I've launched Terragen 2 today to do some rendering and in the meantime I've switched off my PC to get rid of X-Fi and insert freshly bought Asus Xonar D2. Next time I've tried launching Terragen - a busy cursor appeared and then nothing happened. I've checked what processes are running and tgd.exe is displayed, but I see no GUI or anything Terragen related on the screen.

I hardly believe that this swapping of sound cards could render my Terragen unusable but hey, that's completely weird!

I've also tried reinstalling it and it worked for one launch and then it happens again.

Any solution?

neuspadrin

Sure your drivers are up to date?  New hardware could cause some odd issues like that with drivers.

PorcupineFloyd

Yes, I've installed the brand new drivers directly from ASUS website.

I've reinstalled TG2 again - it launched once, and it doesn't want to get up again.

PG

Figured out how to do clicky signatures

PorcupineFloyd

What do I do with this software? I mean - how do I configure it?

PG

OK first of all;

1. Run Terragen 2
2. Run Debug Diag tool
3. In the initial wizard select crash, next, a specific process, next, select tgd.exe from the list, next.
4. set the action type to mini userdump, and the limit to 1
5. click exceptions, add exception, select stack overflow and click ok. You may want to add more exceptions for data misalignment, access violation and in page error.
6. click next, next and finish
7. go to the tools menu in the toolbar, select create ISS/COM+ Hang dump and click yes in the dialog box.
8. then hit ok and go to the Advanced anaylsis tab, hit start analysis and it'll eventually give you an html page. Save that and post it here.

PorcupineFloyd

This is what I get after trying to create a log.

PG

PorcupineFloyd

I'm on 64, but it looks like the small patch for Xonar driver has fixed this issue. It's not stated in the driver changelog that it it supposed to do so, but I'm no longer experiencing problems with Terragen. It fully launches in like 3 seconds. Weird.