Fractalized Voronoi

Started by glen5700, August 06, 2009, 05:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen5700

Hi all,
I wanted to give you folks a preview of what I'm working on and hope to have a download here soon. I would like to thank efflux reminding me about this much needed shader. Currently this one is made for displacement but I have one for color/displacement in the works.

The fractalization is based off this work -   http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1168

Check out the image and you will see in the upper right corner with basic voronoi, directly below is the same file with fractalized voronoi and then some other examples. This shader will include smoothstep, bias settings and more to give the user a good deal of control.

Thanks,
Glen

glen5700

Here is another example of it's uses...

Glen

Tangled-Universe

That looks really cool on the water! Never thought of using that on water, well done!
Applying such a stuck of functions to surfaces is not new at all, but as far as I can see you made some real good work of it.
Many scale-variations and warping/distorting. With some breakup and strata etc. this might give very realistic results. Well, might, it will ;)
Looking forward to see how this involves and of course the images :P

Martin

dandelO

Very much the same as a shader set I'm working on to share, aswell. Both for voronoi cracks and caustics/waves.

That's nice seafoam distribution, I'm trying to properly distort the voronoi with smoother fractals for my caustics shader, you seem to be quite close to what I'm trying for with your foam, a little less colour roughness would be ideal for applying to my warped voronoi caustics. It seems your using the voronoi as the inverted blendshader of a fractal here, it's working nicely.

If you stick a 'complement colour' function after the voronoi you'll negate the need to negate the blending shader but you've probably already got that, it's impossible to tell with just a rendered image, it just seems like that from the first post's image where the cells are white, instead of the cell's borders. (a colour adjust shader is probably needed aswell as a comlement colour, in most cases the white really overpowers the black without one).

Liking your results so far...

glen5700

Thanks guys!!

One thing I should say is that I still have a lot to learn about nodes and my fractionation method is quite simple but it gets the job done. Once this available and you folks have a chance to look at it I will be interested to get some feedback so I can improve.

The water distribution is done by using a surface layer and minimum slope constraint, this still needs a lot more attention.

dandelO - I will be interested to see how you approached this and to check out your caustic shader. I have used the colour adjust shader but not the complement colour, thanks for the tip.

Glen

Tangled-Universe

Depends on how you use it of course. Although I do understand some of the blue nodes I prefer to use them as less as possible.
My approach often is to put a colour-adjust between the voronoi and the surface-shader and then set it to inverted blending.
It's practically the same, but for me a bit easier to understand.

old_blaggard

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your final result.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

glen5700

Thanks old_blaggard!

I was messing around with trying to have a shader that could displace or work as a blend shader but I'm running into some issues. So the displacement version will be released first and hopefully there will be something ready for the weekend.

Glen

Dune

This is very interesting. Especially the foam is great, much better than the ridged fractals. Looking forward to see more!

cyphyr

Great work, looking forward to this one :)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

glen5700

cyphyr and Dune,

Thanks for the positive feed back, should be posting another test rendering soon.

Glen

glen5700

Here is something else to look at, just showing how some different warp values effect the voronoi. Because a Power fractal shader is used to drive the warp there will be an almost endless possibility of variations.

Glen

efflux

schmeerlap

Very impressive fractured rock engine you have going. This'll be a very useful tool in the Terragen toolbox. Eagerly awaiting the clip file.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

glen5700

I glad you mentioned voronoi fractal in the other post efflux, I just couldn't get it out of my mind.  :)

Hopefully you won't have to wait to much longer John, I'm hoping to get it ready this weekend.

Glen