im trying to make this

Started by Que, February 04, 2007, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

anyone have any ideas how to create sumot like this ?
..id love to see some ppls attempts to if anyone has a go

<center>
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

</center>
ps yeah the pics are from the film independence day

Cyber-Angel

This is a composite shot which consists of three elements.

1. The Background Plate of the New york Skyline.

2. The Ship Which is either a physical miniature or CGI and form my recollection about this scene the ship is a CGI element.

3. The Clouds which where done with the cloud tank method which was pioneered on the Motion Picture: Close Encounters of the Third Kind and has been used in countless other Motion Pictures including Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Toward the end of the film) and Poltergeist.

These elements where later combined in post production.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Que

Thanks for the reply and the detail ..i didnt actually mean the whole picture i should of been more specific and understand the new york skyline etc would need to be some sort of post process but im just curious if i could make the cloud and if so how would i go about it ?

i could probably mess about in cs or something to get the firey glow into the clouds ..unless tg2 has a way of getting it ...and the explosive look of the cloud is what im after :)

thanks though :)

Que

So anyone any ideas on gettin the explosion look ?

Will

I've never triede it but you could try makeing huge clouds and puting a light in the center and have a moder of a ship flying though.
Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Que

Thanks for the reply will and for the suggestion
..im not to good at the clouds ive tried a few of the tuts but none of mine seem to work out as they should
any clues how to get the cloud looking explosive and puffy ?

regards Que

oggyb

king_tiger_666

yeah a light source in the clouds, and use multiple cloud layers where one has a slight red tint to it?...

might also need a mask/image shader to restrict the cloud..

i might have a go at this after my render is done...
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Que

Thanks for the replies guys ..ive been messing about but not come up with anything close
was also trying to use an image map on the clouds of the actual picture to see how it turned out
but it wasnt good lol
be nice to see someones attempts though and soon as ive managed something simular i'll be back lol

ps ive tried the fluffy clouds thread but will go over it again thanks :)

Que

No one had a crack then lol
mine turned out terrible

§ardine

Quote from: Que on February 11, 2007, 11:58:53 PM

I had half a mind to try ...and may yet :P ... but then if I were able to get to even 1/4 of the ideas I have...
...so many scenes so little time  ;D

Will

Quote from: §ardine on February 12, 2007, 10:04:58 PM
Quote from: Que on February 11, 2007, 11:58:53 PM

I had half a mind to try ...and may yet :P ... but then if I were able to get to even 1/4 of the ideas I have...
...so many scenes so little time  ;D

Yea I have it a shot but I gave up and desided to write an expo paper.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Hannes

I just gave it a (low quality render) try.

I put in a lo res flying saucer and two additional orange light sources with multiplier increased up to "1e+007" (Strength: slider up to "1e+006" and type in a 7 instead of the 6).
Maybe this is what you tried to achieve?

old_blaggard

Not bad, not bad at all.  I think that with a bit more detail and some refinement in the clouds and UFO, this could be pretty darn good.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Dark Fire

That's a very good try. I can see that, with some refinements, those pictures could be imitated quite successfully.