Lead-In Scale defined

Started by elipsis1, March 19, 2012, 03:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Quote from: penboack on March 20, 2012, 05:12:00 PM
Think of the Lead-in Scale as the size of the mountain range, and the Feature scale as the size of a typical mountain.
Smallest scale may be used to limit the amount of fine detail produced, could be used to improve performance.

exactly how I would have described it in practical terms.

rcallicotte

Example - see this rock.  How do you figure out where the feature scale of the texture is alongside the feature scale of the rock itself?  Then, what makes it look like a rock?  How does the large (lead-in) scale relate to the smallest scale?  It's stuff like this that makes it difficult for me to say it is clear to use that definition.  On a practical scale, just playing with the clouds or rocks shows me what things mean, but I certainly wouldn't say that saying it this way would prevent confusion when anyone think they can actually create a scene understanding that definition. 

I do see the analogy, but not the definition.  It might seem like a small difference, but not to me - it's everything to understand what you're doing when you are trying to create something...a large analogy like that might be entry to understanding the concept, but not the practice.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dune

If you take a fractal and add it to a surface layer to color your ground, and play a little with the settings, you'll soon see what happens, and you don't need any definition anymore. I think every noob should do that for a while just to get the hang of the PF's possibilities.

rcallicotte

@Dune - agreed.  It's so much more fun.   ;D

I found a TGD from a community effort from many moons ago.  Maybe we can use it to play with.  Or not. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?