Trees won't Render...

Started by choronr, February 05, 2007, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I would appreciate anyone trying to get the trees to show up in a quick render. It appears all the settings are ok; but. MeltingIce (Ryan) tried and said that the trees are below the surface. Perhaps there is a bug here that Planetside should know (or, already knows) about.

choronr

buzzzzz

Yeah Bob, that has happened for me as well.  Trees rendered first then surfaces covered every one of then up like in a fricking landfill or something. I checked and they were set on terrain and instances showed up after populating so I don't know what it is either? Maybe we need to water them to get them to grow?  I'm thinking it's a bug as well.

choronr

Thanks for sharing your experience Jay. One other anomaly; after I place the trees, the terrain and it's surfaces take on another shade of color (lighter than the original) ...strange.

old_blaggard

Placing objects is difficult right now.  Since I've got a render going right now, I can't look at the tgd file directly, but try setting the center of the distribution to the camera's coordinates, and if you still don't get trees, try putting the trees' y-value to 0.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

buzzzzz

Quote from: choronr on February 05, 2007, 11:23:12 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience Jay. One other anomaly; after I place the trees, the terrain and it's surfaces take on another shade of color (lighter than the original) ...strange.

Interesting, I will have to look at the file again when I finish this render.  I know the Population should be set correctly because you used it once already. Maybe check the other version and write down the coordinates just to check this new one to be sure. Don't know what else to tell you ole bud?

choronr

Thanks to the both of you; the last image posted had the 'y' at 0. I'll go back to that file and apply the same settings and see what happens ...thanks a bunch.

buzzzzz

Quote from: choronr on February 05, 2007, 11:49:07 PM
Thanks to the both of you; the last image posted had the 'y' at 0. I'll go back to that file and apply the same settings and see what happens ...thanks a bunch.

or X Y oops! z could be the problem.

choronr

We'll see Jay ...just about ready to start experimenting. I hope I can maintain the same terrain/surfaces colors. As mentioned, when the trees are applied, the colors lighten dramatically.

buzzzzz

Quote from: choronr on February 05, 2007, 11:54:49 PM
We'll see Jay ...just about ready to start experimenting. I hope I can maintain the same terrain/surfaces colors. As mentioned, when the trees are applied, the colors lighten dramatically.

You can adjust contrast and gamma in the render settings node ( under the Effects Tab) if you need to darken things.

choronr

Thank you Jay. We may have to try that.

Kevin F

Quote from: choronr on February 05, 2007, 09:13:28 PM
I would appreciate anyone trying to get the trees to show up in a quick render. It appears all the settings are ok; but. MeltingIce (Ryan) tried and said that the trees are below the surface. Perhaps there is a bug here that Planetside should know (or, already knows) about.

choronr

The problem is your scale value is set to 0.85, 0.85, 0.85. The trees don't even start to appear when lower than 2 or 3. Try a value of 10 plus and they're there. The spacing will need changing once you get the size you need. I've just rendered them o.k.
Regards
Kevin.

Mohawk20

Well, that scale thing might not be true... If the trees first render, and then get covered by ground, they are being rendered.

I have had this problem with my forst (and so far only) tree population.
There is definetly a bug in there somewhere, and the solution is a bit of trial and error...

When the instances show up in the preview window, try moving your camera down. Are they really on top of the landscape?

If they are in the preview, they still might not be in the render. What you have to do to fix this is change the location of the main tree that is being instanced. In the opjects screen you have "Pop tree.tgo" and "Pop tree.tgo/tree.tgo" The last one being the main tree. If you change it's 'y' position, your entire population should move according. If you change it too much your trees will be high up in the air.

Work with trial and error to get the right y position.
Howgh!

3DGuy

Without looking at the tgd file: did you apply the population before or after creating your terrain? Try pressing 'populate now'.

choronr

Thanks to each of you: Kevin F, Mohawk20. Buzzzzz and 3DGuy; I've tried all of your suggestions - and, in combination as well; but, still NO TREES! I would like Oshyan to havr a look at this one and comment on it. Guess I'll just do the final without the trees.

BPauba

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 06, 2007, 01:45:01 PM
Without looking at the tgd file: did you apply the population before or after creating your terrain? Try pressing 'populate now'.

I have not really done any populations, but I was also thinking the same thing as 3dGu. Could it be that you slowly built up terrain enough to cover the terrains? Maybe the problem is that the population is basing its positioning on a surface that is covered by other added fractal displacements. Hope I might have shed some light on the problem!