Trees won't Render...

Started by choronr, February 05, 2007, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSquare

3DGuy -
QuoteI even moved the strata node and placed it before the calculate terrain node and that didn't help.

Well I at least can confirm that, as I had already done that. see 12.tgd

buzzzzz

Bob, I'm putting your files together from when we first started including my srf adjustments and additions along with your first atmo with 3D clouds below the top of the terrain. And I'm adding back the tree population. The color looks as it did to start with. Here's the file.   :P

3DGuy

Further experimentation has shown me that the 'hard layer depth' setting of the strata node is responsible for moving the terrain up and down. Setting it to 0 makes the trees sit on the terrain, but you lose the stairlike effect.

choronr

Thanks to all of you who participated with suggestions, ideas and tests. I think we finally have here trees that have rendered and are 'totally above the terrain'.

buzzzzz

Oshyan

So to sum up, after all the various experimentations, I think it's clear that the displacement performed by certain nodes *after* the Compute Terrain (which the population uses to set it's "sit on terrain" height) was responsible for this. If you use heavy displacement in the Shaders (surfacing) group you can often run into this. You should be able to fix it by adding a Compute Normal or Compute Terrain and then *set this new node as the "Sit on terrain" shader in your population*. This last bit is key and it seems to be what has been missed so far.

- Oshyan

3DGuy

Oshyan. It's something in the strata shader. I tried putting the compute terrain on the end of the shader list, that didn't do anything to improve the situation (so I didn't miss that ;)). I even moved the strata to the terrain nodes, that didn't help. I also used the final shader as the input for the population and still it didn't matter. The only thing that did help was disabling the strata node or setting the hard layer depth to 0.

RedSquare

3DGuy -
QuoteI even moved the strata to the terrain nodes, that didn't help. I also used the final shader as the input for the population and still it didn't matter.

I also did that and found the same outcome, Oshyan.

Oshyan

Can one of you post the "current" .tgd so I can take a look? Thanks. :)

- Oshyan

choronr

Hi Oshyan; I'll post the current file. I tried to place the 'Compute Normal' after the last fake stones shader. It took the preview about an hour to render; and, the results looked like a broken glass mosaic. I then removed the 'Compute Normal'.

The trees will render; but, they are partially under the terrain.

choronr

Oshyan; have you looked at the current .tgd that I posted the other day?

Jane

This happens to me a lot too, my trees just go away when I render. Being a beginner, I am not familiar with the node stuff, but I do try to follow your settings carefully.
I think when I move the camera, then I must 'hide' the trees, but why I wonder is the white square and the white bounding box or boxes there?
Here is a screenshot,

Maybe you can see where my trouble is?
Yet sometimes, when I dont mess with the camera, the trees appear.  I never know?  WHen I follow Meltingices tutorial I can get trees, but if I do anything else, change anything,,,,,,no trees for me.
My classmates are having problems with this too, yes we are all beginners.
Thank you,
Jane

Jane

I realize I should add this screenshot so that you can troubleshoot my numbers.
I added more trees, thus having about 15 white boxes, still nothing,,,,,,
Thank you again,
Jane

choronr

Hi Jane; I've attached my latest file which you can use as a reference for settings. Hopefully they will work for you.

Jane

Thank you!
I think I am finally catching on, your help here is wonderful!
Here is the one I just made.

I actually got the trees to be visible.  I am now wondering how you all spread the trees all over a whole mountainside.  So this is a project for me to work on tomorrow morning early when things are quiet.
I am so happy today, I have trees!
Jane