Trees won't Render...

Started by choronr, February 05, 2007, 09:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twistednoodle

Thank you for your response - could you please tell me how you add a .mtl file?  Sorry for such a noob question but if you could tell me which layer I should click (eg which pop layer - there's usually 2) and which shader you put the .mtl in (or whatever you do), I really don't have a clue.  I think these instructions could be useful for those who are trying to add obj pops but don't know how to use the resources that came with them (ie the free xfrog plants).  (each seems to have coloured leaves, black leaves, bark and a ruler woo hoo!) if there are instructions anywhere on how to add these items (bark etc) - it would save you having to write this out! 

You mention that I could use any shader that provides colour - I have tried several (on another pic) but my grass looks like a bushfire has gone thru it!  I am either using the wrong shader or putting it in the wrong place!  Would you mind being more specific as to which shader I should use.....   

BTW these forums provide such a lot of information - I hope that your answer to this question helps a lot of others too.   Thank you for your time.

Kath ;D  (PS you mentioned I didn't attach the obj in my last post ... not sure how to do this but these trees are the Sweet Birch from xfrog and the clump grass that's on the TG2 obj list.... it's official, I am a dork!)
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

Jane

This picture sure looks good to me, the grass and trees are excellent.
And I sure do agree, there are some things that I have no clue of how to do, and I keep scouring the new tutorials for help. 
I would be quite lost without you people!  Our class is over with, but they will have a new one, which I most likely will sign up for.
Thanks all,
Jane

Oshyan

The TGO format objects that Greenworks allowed us to publish (in the free plants bundle) should load up just fine by default, no tweaking necessary. As long as you don't change any of the settings in them then they should render right off the bat. You may find they're small compared to your scene, but they're probably at the right scale, it's just that the scene is much bigger than it seems. You can either scale the objects up or move your camera in closer to see them.

As far as .mtl files, this has almost nothing to do with TG2 since you can't create nor manipulate them in TG. You will only need to do anything with the .mtl file if you're working with an OBJ format object that has not already been made available in TGO format. This would be virtually any object that is not from the Greenworks bundle we provided and is in OBJ format.

There are separate programs that deal with manipulating .mtl files, or you can load them in a text editor. TG2 simply reads the information that's there and assigns textures based on it, but you can't manipulate the .mtl or texture placement from within TG2 at this time. The .mtl will be automatically loaded if the .obj and .mtl are named and referenced properly, which any decent 3D program should do automatically on export.

The next update will also include some changes that make it easier to work with manually assigning textures to objects without properly setup .mtl files.

The grass object comes with a  Default Shader already attached. To adjust color simply change the Color in the Default Shader. You can also use a Default Shader to provide basic color to an imported object in the same way, connecting the Default Shader to the Shader input inside the Object node (right-click->Internal network). A Power Fractal with different "high" and "low" colors could provide more variety and would be connected in the same way.

- Oshyan

twistednoodle

Thank you - that clears things up for me nicely.  I am constantly amazed at how much you know!  Thanks for the info re the bundled objects - they are basic details that I really need to know but don't - thanks again for your patience.  The replies in these forums has been incredibly beneficial!!  The tutorials are excellent.  Thanks again! ............. Now off to colour those dang clumps!!   ;D
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!