Planet Churner

Started by efflux, August 15, 2009, 10:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

Same planet as last two shots.

I'm not happy with some of the surfaces. There is graininess which is hard to deal with especially when I try to sharpen the image.

Elegy

This looks excellent. I like the sense of scale on the big mountain.

About the grain, have you tried increasing the AA or using the 'Cubic B-Spline' pixel filter? I haven't really experimented with the pixel filters but it might help seeing as Terragen claims it's a soft filter.

Volker Harun

I really like the depth of this render, the flow of the clouds and the terrain. For the graininess .... why sharpen? ,-)

Seth

great surface and i join Volker in his question... why the sharpen ? :D

FrankB

indeed, no need to sharpen.

Also, it's a great render. Knowing you, there's probably quite some "blue function node Walhall" going on there ;)

Cheers,
Frank

mhaze

Great landscape and nice POV. I see no need to sharpen the reaal world is sometimes grainy to human eye, espeacially as you get older!

inkydigit

brilliant sense of scale, attention to detail is second to none, also!

efflux

Thanks.

I like to sharpen but slightly. Unfortunately with this planet, sharpening doesn't get very good results. It's a bit noisy in places but noisy even without sharpening. It's the light coloured material. The light material actually covers the darker material where you see light so it is a combination and quite a rich surface so looks cool in those places. The entire surface has a grain of voronoi noise which is blended to appear only in some places. You can see a slight gravel effect on the ground. Exactly what combination is causing the grain I am not sure but it's quite common in TG2 to get a graininess. Probably better that way because some apps create a too smooth surface and you can't get grain even if you try. Also, the surfaces have specularity which may be enhancing the grain in lighter areas because specularity in TG2 does appear to create a rough grainy effect as I've noticed before. When I start a new planet I will test these things but I'm guessing it's a combination of displacement grain with specularity. Colour roughness may also be contributing.

There isn't that many blue function nodes. I used the altitude strata technique to blend surfaces and my own stones graph. The only issue is that I've yet to work out how to slope blend the stones without messing up their surfaces. On this planet the stones simply use a ground surface texture (without redirect). This wasn't very good as this surface was not ideal for the stones.

Probably the crucial factor in this planet is my use of redirect. The terrain is two fractals merged with subtract. In some places these are not being redirecting as much as the rest of the terrain and hence retain their rounded outcropped nature. These merged fractals are duplicated to use for redirect but with altered displacement for redirect control. One is redirecting a lot more than the other. Also, these redirects come after the surfaces (except stones and grain) so the whole landscape is twisted around. This retains a kind of link between things like altitude constraints and the hill shapes. Otherwise it would be very regulated looking.

Another thing is that the planet uses strata and outcrops. This is what enhances the outcrops or step effect but I have smoothed the strata a bit by using smooth surface in compute terrain. This is my favourite trick because strata and outcrops is a bit harsh.

I have experimented with various AA and detail settings. It doesn't really cure the grain. Downsizing from bigger render does but that is not the ideal solution.

efflux

So I guess what I have done here is a kind of redirect masking.

My next planet will involve bringing in the warp shader which I could have used on this planet. This will then become a kind of warp masking.

efflux

By the way I did spend some time getting the clouds and sky right. the main cloud layer is blended to appear only in some places and a second layer provides the smaller wispy clouds. However, lighting effects are tied in with my post processing which is done in lightzone. Often very subtle but very effective.

Another thing I did by accident was turn off enviro lighting. After realizing I had done this I also realized that this effect is too strong at it's default in my opinion.

efflux

Looking back at my images I have noticed that since using lightzone, all my images have drastically improved in their sense of lighting. Lightzone actually works better on CG renders that it does on my photos because the photos don't have as high bit depth.