night renders

Started by tl33, February 05, 2007, 11:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tl33

any tips or setting for a good moonlighting?  like midnight ,3am..

thx

buzzzzz

Quote from: taylor33 on February 05, 2007, 11:14:02 PM
any tips or setting for a good moonlighting?  like midnight ,3am..

thx

Try this one I set up for a night scene I'm working on. You can also save the starfield from Mayda posted here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=444.msg4351#msg4351

I'm assuming you can insert a clip file ok?

tl33

thx man.i don't think i want stars in it though. i was thinking lighting and atmosphere settings..
i should go look at some photo references and try to recreate the lighting  :P

similar to these.

http://www.maion.com/photography/nepal/shorong_himalaya_pictures.html

edit to say
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=629.0

Quote from: Maydasimply add a cirrus layer and put a planet for half before your sun (visible disk checked and increase the radius of it).
all that fabulous colours are generated by tgd

great tip.. off to try it

Mohawk20

If you just want a realistic moon lighting your landscape, you have to take a bit of a detour. You can create a 2nd planet, and set that in the view. You can also set the sun below the horizon, behind the camera, and move it around for the right lighting on the moon.

But for the light that should come from the moon, you have to create a lightsource that you should place between the earth and the moon (about in the middle, a bit more toward the earth). Then maneuver it exactly in front of the moon, from camera perspective, and enlarge the radius until it seems to be as big as the moon. Now increase the strengt of the light to rediculous big numbers, like 1e8, or even 1e9...

If it works correctly, the light has allmost no noticable effect on the moon (because the moon is also lighted by the sun), an your landscape should be lit like moonlight.

If the effect on the moon is more visible than desired, move the light closer and adjust the size again.
Howgh!

3DGuy

If you use a planet without atmosphere you can place the sun behind it, it will cast no shadow. This is a bug and is not guaranteed to work in the future ;). Just make the moon self illuminating and adjust the sunlight to your liking.

I did the same thing here, but not with a moon but with a large sun:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=713.0

tl33

great tips guys. im going to try both techniques this week.

thx

off topic but is it possible to add image files as a material/shader?  sorry bit of a newb and havn't found a tutorial about it yet

Mohawk20

There is an 'image shader', and it will let you apply image as a texture...
Howgh!

tl33

Quote from: Mohawk20 on February 06, 2007, 08:03:26 AM
If you just want a realistic moon lighting your landscape, you have to take a bit of a detour. You can create a 2nd planet, and set that in the view. You can also set the sun below the horizon, behind the camera, and move it around for the right lighting on the moon.

But for the light that should come from the moon, you have to create a lightsource that you should place between the earth and the moon (about in the middle, a bit more toward the earth). Then maneuver it exactly in front of the moon, from camera perspective, and enlarge the radius until it seems to be as big as the moon. Now increase the strengt of the light to rediculous big numbers, like 1e8, or even 1e9...

If it works correctly, the light has allmost no noticable effect on the moon (because the moon is also lighted by the sun), an your landscape should be lit like moonlight.

If the effect on the moon is more visible than desired, move the light closer and adjust the size again.

i tried to follow this last night but for the life of me could not get a planet to show up in my renders.. i followed the tutorial in the user guide to try and get a planet in there but 4 hours later i gave up. ill have to give it a go again tonight.

dhavalmistry

here is one I am rendering right now....not actually a night scene but it gives same feeling...let me know if u are interested in settings....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

king_tiger_666

nice clouds!!!... i think if the green wasn't so bright it would be on the money!..

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

dhavalmistry

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on February 08, 2007, 12:18:14 AM
nice clouds!!!... i think if the green wasn't so bright it would be on the money!..

Like I said....its not actually a night scene...

Mohawk20

Here is what I earlier explained shown in a .tgd...
And the image it results in.
Howgh!

tl33

yea, thats really nice Mohawk. i'm going to check the .tgd and try to sort out my planet issue :P

king_tiger_666

that is a great moon Mohawk20...

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

dhavalmistry

can anybody tell me how to get an image to show up  as moon's surface