Another waterfall system

Started by Dune, August 19, 2009, 05:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Walli on August 21, 2009, 02:30:19 PM
veeery, very nice. I only have an odd feeling about the scaling - the waterfall says to me its seven foot high - but the trees surrounding speak a different language.

That's the bee I had in my bonnet...thanx for letting it out Walli
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Well, Martin, I rendered it again last night with higher settings (.65 and AA 7), and at bigger size (2200 x 1000 or so), which took 14 hours. Mainly due to the vapour, and the rendering of trees and other details that hide behind the waterfall (it would still be great if the 'hidden' parts wouldn't have to be calculated). To be honest, the higher settings don't boost the underwater detail very much, I still find it too undetailed. Other settings in the water shader didn't help. And even higher detail settings would take me too long for this fun render.
I roughened the water a tad more (it was too smooth directly after such a big fall), and changed the vegetation colours a bit (and added a washed ashore tree trunk). By coincidence, Darthvader, I happended to indeed dense the vapor.
To me the fall looks bigger than 7 foot, I have no problem with it. Perhaps more foam and flying particles would strengthen the height feeling, but I didn't want too much foam, or you wouldn't see it's water anymore. I played with the idea to add another cloud with very low settings, as multiple drops around the base of the fall, but didn't implement it. It'll work though, I tested it.
I also did a partial render with a boat (and renamed it 'End of Journey'), but got rid of it again, it became too concocted.

It's my desktop now, and I consider it finished. Here's a size reduced update. Time to get on.

---Dune

Dune

PS. There's some shiny artefacts in the rocks (distant parts of the lake shining through?), I still have to clone them away.
PS II. I did try even higher detail settings (.9 and AA 9), but still got the undetailed underwater rocks.

Naoo

Hi

One of the best TG-Waterfalls I ever saw. TOP!

ciao
Naoo

Henry Blewer

The foam near the fall looks great. I think many would call this a photo on other pic sharing sites.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Hannes

CCC

If you can get the foam shader to break apart a bit along the fall? Maybe a rigid small-scale displacement along the x-axis? to act as spray?

FrankB

Excellent stuff, Ulco. This is a very nice scene. Your attention to detail is what makes this image.
I don't fully "believe" the water fall, but I also couldn't do it any better. 
Love that dead tree trunk on the right shore, and the stone shore on the middle far shore.

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Hey Ulco,

Great looking :) For me it all works together! The water looks very good, just a cool scene.

I wasn't talking about the renderquality of your underwater features, I was talking about renderquality in general.
Seeing this I think you'll have to admit, like the last time some weeks ago, that this looks better in overall.
It really pays off to render with settings higher than 0.5 detail and AA5. Believe me us ;)

Looking forward to see your next piece of work :)

Cheers,
Martin

buzzzzz1

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

domdib

Great realism - particularly like the water surface nearest the camera. Which tree is this? It's also very convincing.

Dune

I made some trees in XFrog, they're sort of Betula, some dead trees and some Crataegus, just these 3 pops.

mhaze

Excellent, much better with the deeper water.

mani1602

just WOW! looks like a photo!!

littlecannon

I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...