Started by rcallicotte, August 20, 2009, 02:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Quote from: old_blaggard on October 29, 2009, 09:13:48 PM
Hmm... well, looks like they just revealed the story of the entire movie.

I'll still go see it for the pretty colors, though :P.

You are right Old_blaggard. Some trailers are like a summary.
Is it me or not i don't know, but i remember that the studios were more carefull in the past about revealing the story or to much in trailers ?

Kadri

old_blaggard

It really depends on the movie and the director, I think.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

latego

I really hope there will be a way to see it without all this 3D crap, because if your sight is not perfect (like mine, I am shortsighted and, as often happens, the two eyes are different  >:( ), the only thing you get is a monumental headache (just google for 3d headache glasses...)

Bye...

P.S.: the only real reason for 3D is that 3D movies cannot (and probably will not for a long time) piratable from a hidden camera you carry into the theather.

goldfarb

if you put one of the lenses from the glasses in front of the camcorder lens then it can be filmed - and most pirated movies come from a post or duplication facility...
and I think the film will play in 2D theatres as well as 3D
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

littlecannon

Looks like fun.

latego... couldn't you just wear contacts or just put the 3D spec over your glasses? I have managed to watch 3D without the headache.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

rcallicotte

Quote from: goldfarb on October 30, 2009, 12:56:23 PM
and I think the film will play in 2D theatres as well as 3D

...this is my hope.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Any lucky basterds here who were able to see it already?

I'm going the day after tomorrow. Luckily they have adapted one theatre here to a brand new IMAX 3D theatre, so I will be able to see it in full glory, can't wait ;D

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 14, 2009, 10:43:10 AM
Any lucky basterds here who were able to see it already?

I'm going the day after tomorrow. Luckily they have adapted one theatre here to a brand new IMAX 3D theatre, so I will be able to see it in full glory, can't wait ;D

I plan on going Friday evening, saw the trailer at the website and it looks awesome.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Seth

Damn !!!
I have to wait 2 more weeks so my kids will be away for holidays...
I want to watch this movie !

FrankB

I already got loge tickets for Saturday afternoon. Of course for the 3D version of the film ;)
Can't wait!

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I went to our freshly built IMAX theatre here in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
I never went to an IMAX theatre before and was amazed by the huge screensize and the laser-alligned audio was truly amazing and utterly loud ;D

Avatar was really really amazing! There are no words to describe how beautiful it is made and so extremely convincing! Simple story, effectively told and worked out, but also acted quite nicely. Say; story 7 out of 10.
Pandora and its lush tropical forests with so many plants and trees, they all look so freaky real!
Some camera shots looking up in the canopy, with all the translucency and dense wet atmosphere. It looks soooooo good and realistic.
The 3D effect really adds to the realism and feeling of really being there.

The animation of the Na'vi and pretty much all the CGI characters is near flawless. Near flawless, yes, but I assure you that the average viewer won't notice any flaw.
Just in some cases the interaction with CGI characters with the environment/floor is not as extremely convincing. However, this is not happening to the main characters, mostly in the background. Say; CGI >10 out of 10 ;)

I could write for an hour here about it, but, especially as "TG-engineers", you just have to go and see it. I might even see it again so I just can watch it in awe without focussing on the story but only on the visuals. This is really one of my best cinema-experiences ever among Jurassic Park, Terminator 2 and LOTR.

Martin

FrankB

I'm envious. I have to wait until Saturday :)

old_blaggard

Just saw it in IMAX 3D as well. I found the visuals to be absolutely amazing, but something was up with the alignment of some of the shots, making them jerky and blurry within the 3D effect. Additionally, the dialog and some of the characterizations of the natives were in some cases so poor that it jerked you out of the world that was created, which is really too bad. In my opinion, it brought what could have been a fantastic, compelling film destined to be a classic both in storytelling and visual effects down to more of a standard Hollywood VFX-fest level. However, those who can get past the cheesiness inherent to so many moments and actions will still absolutely love it, and those who can't will still find a whole lot there to be entertained by.

As Martin said, I certainly recommend it for the visual effects, and also simply as a good film; but not a great one.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Not an expert about graphics or even about storyline, but I have seen lots of movie and this one rates at the top of my list.  I have not seen a movie this good for about 10 years.  But, I recommend seeing this in 3D IMAX (with the glasses).  I'm not sure there is a better way to see this one.

It's an amazing film.  I felt like I was there.

If we want to be critical, I found maybe two shots out of the entire film that the perspective was a little off.  2 whole shots.  Not hardly a deal breaker.  Rottentomatoes rates this as 83%, so I'm in good company when I say "GO SEE IT!!".   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

I've seen the film last Saturday, 3D of course.
(By the way, my brother went with me, we's wearing glasses. He could just conveniently put the 3D glasses over his glasses and was just fine).

It was absolutely the best cinematic experience I ever had. I had to promise myself to just watch the story, and not investigate the CG, or analyze it, or anything other distracting. Just sit there instead and really watch the movie. This is just a great story, and the apparent director's love to details really made this whole world a complex and whole one.

The 3D was just perfect, in the sense that it wasn't "stuffed" with thing that come at you or point at you, or otherwise pop "out" of the screen. Instead - and that's good - the 3D was mainly there to give yo a sense of depth, towards the screen and beyond, giving you the impression to really be there.
Of course there where things that came towards you, but it wasn't overdone.

If you have to watch the movie in 2D, it's still very much worth it. Great story, great visuals. If you just watch and enjoy the movie, like I did, you will rarely "wake up" because something looks CG. Most of the CG world and characters look very real most of the time.

I didn't realize until I booked my seat that the film was actually quite long, and I am happy about that. It gave the story enough room to develop their characters and the world they were on. The culture of the Na'Vi and their spiritual way of life.

Great stuff. I will definitely see this film a second time, just like TU probably will. I never watch films twice, usually. That should tell you what my rating for this movie would be ;)

Cheers,
Frank