Just a few steps ... to procedural craters ...

Started by Volker Harun, August 23, 2009, 03:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Very impressive asteroid - I would have taken that for a photo.

DJ

Thank you domdib!
Normally I take photos, but my spaceship has a damage, so I had to use terragen instead  :D

DJ

DJ

One more suggestion for making procedural craters:

If you combine two voronoi noises, the resulting craters will be more random, both in size and distribution.
This comes closer to reality.

[attachthumb=#]
[attachurl=#]

DJ

DJ

Now the same asteroid with the improved model for the small craters.
I think this looks more realistic....

[attachthumb=#]

DJ

rcallicotte

I agree DJ.  This looks better.  With some slight color variance across the surface, this would be exceptional.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rpleak

This is a great addition to Terragen. Is there anyway to randomize the diameter, number, and scattering of craters?

Rob P

luvsmuzik

Quote from: rpleak on July 17, 2018, 01:11:07 AM
This is a great addition to Terragen. Is there anyway to randomize the diameter, number, and scattering of craters?

Rob P
Just guessing Rob P, but inside the 2craters tgc, are the variables ......try changing the seed for scattering. You should already have two constant scalar on the voronoi noise blue nodes which should control the number. I am sure there is a detailed explanation, but that is where I would start experimenting making small changes in those numbers rather than extreme.

rpleak

Thanks, I appreciate the help! I'm just now getting in to using nodes, but I can see how powerful they can be...if you know how...

Rob P

WAS

This is only really good for craters at a severe distance. They only have one scale controller without breaking it, so you'll have to mask out the function to thin them out to add others, but that will create broken cut off craters. Adding multiple crater shaders gets too dense for a natural look without masking. And the base functions can't get any thinner. Additionally the crater edges will always be a hard edge.

bobbystahr

new life on a 9 yr old thread...good thing as well as I'd forgotten this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist